Pretty impressed with (at least) the Contacts sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danpass, Aug 5, 2009.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

between iPhone, work comp and home comp using MobileMe.

Download the MobileMe gadget to the PC and the first sync takes a while.

I've disciplined myself to make changes in my phone and only my phone so I set the gadget to "replace info on this computer".

I did a search on my work comp for a number and it wasn't there. I found it in my notebook and started putting it into my phone.

I hadn't touched the search results (blank) and about 20 seconds later the contact shows up. As I continue to put in info it shows up 20 seconds later on the computer.

Pretty slick and much smoother than the Google option.

At one point I had disabled the MobileMe sync to see what happens on my phone. Much of what I had deleted on MobileMe popped up again on my phone. So that just reinforces the 'make changes only on the phone' action lol.

2. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying out MobileMe right now too, and I love it. The calendar sync is the best for me. My wife has an iPod Touch, and I have the iPhone and my MacBook Pro. So nice that my calendar info syncs across all three devices. I'm having trouble syncing to my work computer though, a PowerBook G4 running Tiger. Doesn't seem to want to sync properly. Not a huge deal, because the iPhone is always with me, and I generally have my MBP with me too.

Anyway, just doing the MobileMe trial right now, but I think I'll be paying the $100 to keep it. I don't use the e-mail though, because I prefer my Gmail account. iDisk app is pretty sweet too, and works well even over edge.

3. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I am very happy with mobileme and would recommend it. However, a lot of the functionality (if not all) can be had from other free products. However, the key is that i am willing to pay for all of this to be available in one product

Point in fact, I was round my friend's house and needed to do some work. Instead of going through the faff I simply got him to set me up an account and sync'd my mobileme account to it and hey presto I have all my contacts, e-mail, idisk and websites in a matter of minutes.

I just think it's a really well thought out suite

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I already purchased Mobileme, but would like to use the 2month free trial period first. Can I extend my free-trial account to the full year when it expires using the mobileme subscription I had purchased? This way I get an extra 2 months out of the whole thing. :)

They already mailed me the Mobile package (a small DVD or CD with some papers).

5. TLewis macrumors 65816

I happen to like Google mobile calendar sync. Being able to access multiple synchronized Google calendars from the iPhone's built-in calendar app is really nice. I can edit my calendars from the web, or I can edit my calendars from the iPhone, and everything stays in sync. I can also set weird repeating appointments like, "every third Sunday of the month" (interestingly, you have to do this from the web -- while the iPhone supports this kind of repeating appointments, you apparently can't create them on the iPhone or from MobileMe). It's also nice to be able to access other (read-only) calendars, like "US holidays".

I do also use MobileMe, but only for the contacts. If Google ever supports multiple contact groups on the iPhone, I'd dump MM. The contacts is the only thing going for it (well, "find my iPhone", might be another thing).

6. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I've had .mac and mobile me, I think its only worth it if you have a iPhone or are using multiple computers. Even then I really only use it to keep contacts and calendars in sync. I use the email address only for Apple junk mail and iTunes receipts... I use gmail for my regular email.