Pretty Scratch Resistant?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hoopdy, May 14, 2008.

1. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

I know from past use that some phones, and more specifically, ipods are prone to scratch more than others. Does the iPhone's screen scratch easily?

Any other parts scratch easy?

Recommended skins?

2. FACT macrumors newbie

well the screen, being glass, is pretty hard to scratch. The chrome ring around the screen will get scratched however

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

the screen will not scratch unless you of course force to scratch it. dropping it won't give it a scratch probably, but the screen could crack.

and yes, the silver trim scratches the easiest on the iPhone, but all cases cover that part.

4. neven macrumors 6502a

The chrome scratches right away, but eventually it has a "poor man's brushed metal" look which won't bother you at all, except in direct light.

The back and the screen on mine - which I've carried around in my pocket without a case for a year - is pristine. iPods can't compare to it at all.

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It takes a lot to scratch the screen, but i have 2 minor scratches on my screen, and i took beautiful care of mine, so they will scratch. On the other hand, the screen will crack, and that is what you need to worry about, and be aware of, as many people think scratch resistant means crack resistant (not saying you do, but you never know).

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I have a few small scuffy looking scratches on the screen. They are from the time I thought it was a good idea to put it in an iPod sock. Unfortunately, the constant removing and putting in of the iPhone scratched the screen. You can only see the small scratches in the light though. Needless to say, I do not use the iPod socks anymore!

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Got mine on day 1 and the screen is still absolutely pristine.

8. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

there is a stress test that some people did on the iphone. They tried to emulate 3 months worth of wear on an iphone. They put it into a zip lock bag with some keys and other things you might find in a pocket book and shook it 80 times inside there with all the stuff and no scratches on the touch screen, then they dropped it on tile, cement, and wood floors. The screen held up well with no scratches, just the metal around the outside was scratched.

here;s the video
    iphone stress test

9. overcast macrumors 6502a

I've had mine for a year without a stupid cover, sitting in my pocket, thrown around. Zero scratches outside of the chrome.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No scratches that I can tell for the 3 or 4 weeks I have gone without a screen cover. I took the old one off trying to get some nagging dust out. Thought I could re-apply the screen. Ha, right. I just use some iKlear every few days to get my nasty fingerprints off the screen. This thing is WAY better than the iPod Classic screen, which scratches if you think too hard.

11. agargar macrumors member

12. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

i have it for about three month now and have two or three very thin scratches on the screen but you can only see them if you hold the phone in the light a certain way... so it´s not that bad...
    but the chrome scratches really easy !

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Are you sure those marks on the screen are scratches? Take some rubbing alcohol to it!

14. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

no scratches... because you can see the scratch starting on the bezel going to the sreen... it´s not that unsual... with keys it´s pretty much impossible to scratch it but with little grain of sand for example... but like i said you can hardly see them so it doesn´t annoy me that much

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

The screen doesn't scratch easily. Every couple of days I just wipe it off with my shirt and it looks brand new.

I highly recommend a rubber skin for the phone. The screen can stay exposed but the skin keeps the phone from slipping out of your hand or shirt pocket. If the phone is dropped, the skin gives the screen some pretection against direct contact with the ground.