pretty significant problem with bootcamp now.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ibook4a, Oct 27, 2007.

1. ibook4a macrumors member

HI

I have a copy of xp pro i want to install onto a partion of my internal drive which is in raid 0. - 2 320gb hd's.

I also have 2 external hard drives.

When i run the setup assistant, i get the message 'you cannot partion an external disk drive' - but i don't want to partion a external disk drive.

anyone know a fix?

Cheers

A:confused:

Attached Files:

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I don't think you can repartition a RAID 0 with BootCamp, which is why it thinks your external drivers are the only candidates, which also don't work.

Not sure what you can do about other than getting another drive or junking data and repartitioning it with some free space for a bootcamp volume.

3. ibook4a thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, yeah i was wondering about that when i saw there was no partion tab in disk utility.

hummm

but what puzzles me though is that i've also got another internal 250gb hd in here as well...so why could it not recognize that

thanks

A:)

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Check that it has a GUID partition table on the drive, IIRC it only works with drives with GUID tables.

5. ibook4a thread starter macrumors member

It doesnt on the startup drive, but does on the internal drive i want to backup to. GUID tables are the box diagram things aren't they?

so does that mean its basically impossible to run the boott camp assistant if i'm running raid 0 opposed to just a standard, single startup disk?

thanks

6. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

If you click on the drive in disk utility at the bottom right it should say 'Partition Scheme: GUID Partition Table', you'll get the partition boxes regardless of the partitioning type.

Earlier versions of BootCamp refused to run on systems with any sort of RAID. It should work fine now however. If it's not then I'm not sure why.

7. ibook4a thread starter macrumors member

yes they do...

right i've formulated a really annoying and insane plan if worse comes to worse:

1 backup raid to 750gb hd (arriving next 1-2 days)
    2 install mac os x on the 250gb hd.
    3 run assistant
    4 partion 250gb hard drive
    5 install windows
    6 delete mac os partion

this is so fustrating i need to use windows (unfortunately) and i can't .:(

thank you for helping though:)