Pretty upset and would like your input

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jessay, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Jessay macrumors member

I bought my MacBook Pro back in mid 2010, and I never really had any issues with it. Although, I did have to replace the logic board right before its warranty went out (last summer).

Just a few weeks ago, I've been having graphic issues where the computer's screen completely breaks up and pixelizes.

Well, I've been told that my computer is on the brink of going completely "brain dead," the GPU is going out. Apple's suggestion? A new logic board, which makes absolutely no sense since I replaced the logic board last summer. They also suggested me to buy a new computer since replacing the logic board won't do much.

Is this a common issue? I don't understand how Apple expects people to dish out $3,000 for a new computer every 3 and half years...

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

There's a problem with the 330M. I had it on mine as well before but it wasn't as severe.

Your only choice is to replace the logic board or get a new computer. You may be upset, but that doesn't fix your problem.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Call AppleCare and explain. There still swapping faulty logic boards out of warranty so they should look after you.

4. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well the 8600m chip in the 2008 mbp to had the same issue, the the 2010 mbp, and some users with 2011. Further i have seen a a small handfull of retina mbp owners having the same inclduing me but it was just kernel panics. What bugs me is when they them selves state buy a new one theres no point as replacement board may give same trouble then why in their programme were they replacing with the same board but with another revision instead of providing another solution.
    A friend of mine has a 15" mid 2010 towards the end of her three years warranty she had a usb issue so her logic board was changed. Three months after warranty expired she started getting the graphics issue. Most likely it was the second revision board they replaced with.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is with the GPU and swapping logic boards will only kick the can down the road, i.e., the problem will still occur.

I think if you press them politely but firmly they'll do the warranty work which will buy you some time, but a new computer is the only long term solution.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4088

They will probably work with you.

7. leman macrumors 604

Just a quick comment on this. The cost of a computer does not really correlate with longevity. You pay for owning it NOW. Computers are complex electronic devices and they WILL break down with time, no matter who designs them or how much you pay for them. It is simply up to luck. There are machines who will break down after 10 years, and there are some which will break down the day after your warranty is gone. Not much you or Apple can do about it, alas - it is an inherent limitation of modern technology.

I would still recommend you asking for out of warranty repair of course.

P.S. $3000 in 3 years is $83 per month. I pay more for my internet connection! Its quite a small sum to pay for owning a premium product which you spend a lot of time with.

8. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

Most apple repairs have a 3 month warranty on them. But they may go above and beyond if this is a known issue.