Prev. Gen Macbook Pro .VS. New Aluminum Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ACiB708, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ACiB708 macrumors regular

I NEED ADVICE

I have a problem: I told my brother to buy me a laptop: I said "please buy the 1599 USD Macbook" I meant the new aluminum 2.4Ghz 2GB DDR3 Ram Macbook. He arrived from his trip today and he gave the laptop to me: It is the previous gen Macbook Pro, he bought it new from bestbuy at 1599 USD; I don't know what to do!! I still haven't opened it! Should I return it and get the new 13 inch macbook? Should I keep the 15 inch Macbook pro?

Specs.
    New macbook aluminum:
    13 incher
    2GB DDR3
    256MB nVidia integrated graphics 9400m
    No firewire port
    Beautiful single piece design

Prev Gen Macbook Pro
    15 incher
    2GB DDR2
    256MB nVidia 8600 GT Descrete Graphics
    Firewire 800 and 400 ports
    Previous design, previous trackpad, heavier

I don't know what to do!! WHICH ONE IS BETTER!? WHICH SHOULD I CHOSE?! plase help, post your opinions, please!!!

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

That's a tough one, but it depends on what your needs are. If you ever use firewire and the larger screen, then the pro would definitely be a good choice. It also has a dedicated graphics card, but you may not need that depending on what you'll use the computer for.

If you're going for portability then the new Macbook couldn't be better, although the Macbook pro is more portable than many other laptops. DDR3 RAM also helps keep the speed more even with the Macbook pro. The new trackpad is also very nice.

So, it's up to you if the extra size and firewire are worth more than the extra portability and sleek new design.

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Alot of people have decided the same thing and it seems to boil down to 4 points:
    1 - need firewire, if so grab the newer MBP
    2 - portability? - if using it alot on the go, go for the MB. If going to stay around the home, a MBP is perfect.
    3 - game at all? granted its not that easy as it was with the earlier MB's, but if you are going to game on the laptop, go for the pro in most cases. The newer 9400 is better than the x3100 by miles though.
    4 - newness - care to have the older one? Do you have to have the newest thing?
    I had the first version MB and recently upgraded to the prior MBP 2.4. Big difference in portability and ability to game. My opinion is it is worth the small trade in portability to game a little more and the screen is much nicer. Its like taking a desktop with you when you travel.

Best of luck!

4. janat macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro!

MacBook Pro has small battery life, because its graphics card is 2.5 times better then macbook's.

5. janat macrumors newbie

Mbp

MBP-macbook pro
    anyhow, I would rather choose macbook pro because it doesn't have integrated graphics card.

6. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

ValkyrieLenneth

Have you ever used a macbook pro ? :D

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You know, this question has been asked and answered on the threads say, what, a dozen times? I'm not trying to be snarky, but a search on this forum will land you a whole bunch immediately rather than wait and see if people engage in this debate again.

8. lindstrom macrumors member

I was in the same situation back in October. I ended up going for a matte 2,4Ghz MBP from Amazon with a $150 rebate. The deal was just way to good to turn down.

Actually, I am even more pleased than I thought was possible. Planning on upgrading to 4gb of RAM in 2009 as well.

My vote is: go for the MBP =).

9. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

look

smartass here ,

the reason people make new threads is because peoples opinions change, the laptops have been out for longer then they were before and people can ajust their opinions accordingly. Personally im selling my new macbook and buying a new pro because i need the GFX and bigger screen. Id go with the old MBP is your at home and not traveling. Even if you are traveling it is not that heavy and can easily be carried.:)

10. ACiB708 thread starter macrumors regular

Made my choice

Hey thanks a LOT to all of you who posted your opinion, I do take the laptop outside well i would, for school, but thinking twice I actually wouldn't be carrying that much, so I went for the pro, I opened it, and it's thinner and lighter than what I expected. The screen just dazzles me, it's AMAZING it's actually kinda scary how bright it is, the graphics from what I've heard are great and notebookcheck.net points out that they are 2x faster than the 9400m integrated, and about the battery life, well I'm testing it. Thanks a lot, I made a great decision. Definitely a great laptop. Besides, it's beautiful and it says Pro at the end in shiny letters, lol just kidding.

Thanks!!

EDIT: I also chose the Pro because of Snow Leopard, see, 10.6 Snow Leopard will take advantage of GPU via the Open CL Standard, so if you have a faster GPU when Snow Leopard is released, your Mac will be even faster

11. darshan macrumors member

i think u should stick with the macbook pro

1 its a better screen laptop and trust met hat WILL come in handy when it comes to watching movies and stuff

n plus i think u mayb being a lil selfish n not thinkin bout his feelings... i mean if i were to get my brother something n were to be thinkin bout returning it immediately i'd probbly be like u ungretful *sshole

i know u may mean well... however just ask ur bro if he's ok with you doing this

12. adelphos macrumors newbie

way to go buddy !

I'm glad you've made your decision.

MEanwhile, I'm still trying to decide which MAC to purchase !

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'd say half the reason why people make threads asking the same thing is that they don't take five minutes and do a simple search. Considering the same questions has been repeated three times a week, how much could opinions have changed since the last two or three times it was asked?

Oh, otherwise, I agree with your assessment of the MBP over the uni MB.

14. cnewhall macrumors newbie

I'm about to make this very same choice myself (for me it's between the $1500, after educational discount, Macbook Aluminum and $1349 refurbished Macbook Pro) and I was wondering if you had been able to test the battery life of the Macbook Pro yet?

15. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

The MBP will probably outlast the MB. The MB is shiny and nice on the eyes, but the MBP has superior hardware. Plus, glossy is meh.

16. cnewhall macrumors newbie

I was planning on getting the glossy MBP. Are the reflections as bad on that one as they are on the MB Aluminum?

17. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I'm glad you kept it. The MBP is a beautiful system. Good thing your brother made a mistake hahaha.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, well done, thank your brother for his "mistake", and enjoy your splendid MBP. It is an excellent computer - I have one and I'm very happy with it - and is still considerably better than the new - albeit exceptionally attractive and technologically stunning new MB. You have made the right decision. Now go and enjoy it.

Cheers and good luck

19. ACiB708 thread starter macrumors regular

Battery life

It's pretty good, I made some test and with everyday use (iTunes playing, surfing the web, and web processing at the same time) it will last more tan 3 hours, it definitely lasts longer than my brother's XPS M1530 and my other brother's Macbook (previous gen 2.16 Ghz). It's very good battery life, more than what you'd expect from a 15 incher

20. ACiB708 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Yes, it's a GREAT machine. I'm very happy with it. Finally a Mac owner myself :)

21. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

You "told" your brother to buy you a laptop... and he bought you a MBP? Wow, what does he get from you?