Prev Gen MBP or Alu MB!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSpoody 1243, Nov 1, 2008.

1. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

okay, title says it all, which one should i get
    MBP is AUD 2499, MB is AUD 2549
    both are the standard config 2.4 ghz models,
    i use adobe photoshop and flash a bit
    I also occasionally play games (rarely)
    computer will be mainly for uni or what americans call collage.
    i need it to last 3 years.
    i dont use firewire.
    Which one would be more reliable??
    How common is the faulty 8600gt gfx card?
    The current mpb is out of my price range so i am not considering it.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If it were me, I'd go for the prev gen MBP w/o question, but then I appreciate the larger screen size, the real video card, and don't mind the extra pound of weight. If you are going to be schlepping your computer around all day then that extra pound might get annoying after awhile. I'd say it's a personal choice, but I think overall the MBP is a better machine.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely, especially re the larger screen size and far better screen quality of the MBP. Remember, also, despite the nVidia problems, this is a tested and tried machine, an is really very good at what it is designed to do. I have one and I'm very happy with it.

Cheers and good luck

4. nph macrumors 6502a

How warm is the last of previous generation MBP

I am in the same boat as the OP. Except I have the original MBP 1.83.
    It is sort of ok speedwise except VMWare is kind of slow and sometimes I have to run some windows stuff due to work and I prefer to use my Mac on vacation instead of dragging my lousy HP Vista laptop with me.

So my choice is the same, new MB 2.4 or last MBP. Rougly same price maybe a little cheaper MBP with rebates online.

What drives me nuts is the heat of my MBP so what I value the most will be the temperature of the new MB and if that is significantly cooler than the MBP is.
    I want to start using my 'laptop' in my lap again without having to drag a protective tray with me all the time. I already have the Fancontrol sw but I am also tired of hear =ing my otherwise quiet laptop sound like a turbine...

What is the heat of the MBP vs new MB?

thanks

5. Piaget macrumors member

The new MB runs cooler than the last gen MBP. However, in the 2 days that I owned a Penryn MBP, the heat was more than acceptable for table use (it might get uncomfortable on your lap after about 10 mins). Don't let the heat issue prevent you from getting the Penryn MBPs.

Unfortunately for me, my refurb MBP succumbed to the nVidia card problem within two days :( Hopefully, you aren't as unlucky as other than that, the refurb I received was in pristine condition.

6. TSE macrumors 68030

Get the previous generation MacBook Pro. Not only does it have about the same processing power as the high end MacBook, but it has a much more powerful graphics card, a better and bigger screen, better speakers, firewire, DVI, and an expresscard slot.

All it is missing is the fact it is "new".

7. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

How much faster is the 8600 than the 9400 again? Just wondering thanks.

ChrisN

8. TSE macrumors 68030

I would say, comparing framerates from my MacBook Pro to the new MacBooks, I am getting about 20-30% better framerates, depending on the game.

9. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Do you have cod4 and if you do can you compare the two Macs?

ChrisN

10. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

go with the pro I dont have it but I have ued it and I htink its a great computer and the 15 inch is amazing because its so big of a screen

11. iSpoody 1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

So there is only like a 30% performance difference in the gfx cards of the mbp and mb?
    wow thats not really that much.
    I actually really want to get the mbp but am dead scared of getting a lemon as someone said in another thread said, i dont want to have issues with the gfx card!
    This will be my first mac so i really want something very stable!
    lol why does there have to be a problem like this on macs, gawd!

12. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

macbook pro for any gaming or professional video editing.

13. iSpoody 1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

i just made my choice, im getting the old mbp with the 2.5ghz and 512mb ram gfx card which costs 2850, i think this is a pretty good deal,
    the points that made me choose it were the matte screen, good gfx card and a higher screen resolution, dam my fingers are crossed, if i get a faulty gfx card im gonna freak, at least i have a few months before uni to see if i have this issue
    thanks for your help guys, love u all lololol :D