Prevalence of dead pixels?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brian515, Oct 16, 2011.

1. brian515 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

So I just noticed that my 4S has one dead pixel on the far left edge of the screen and kind of near the top. It doesn't really bother me when I'm using the phone, and I can only really see it against solid backgrounds.

Are dead pixels common on the 4(S)? I didn't have any on my 3GS, and I know Apple will replace the phone. However, I don't have an Apple store near me, so I don't want to risk getting another phone which has either more dead pixels or a dead pixel in a worse location, nor do I want to play the sending phones back and forth game. Also does anyone know if I choose to get the phone replaced, will the new phone be new or a refurb?

Thanks!

2. lonman06 macrumors regular

I had one dead pixel on my iphone 4 last year when I got it. That is the only apple product I have ever had one on. I went back to the store and they gave me a new one with new questions asked. It was not a refurbished on as I saw them take it out of a brand new box. They even let me look at the new one to make sure I was happy with it first. So if it is a long drive for you make sure you get a good look at it so you aren't disappointed when you get home.

3. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I'd say dead pixels and/or dust under the screen is fairly common. My new 4S doesn't have any issues, but my original iPad and iPhone 4 both had dust under the screen and a couple bad pixels. Apple will replace a device with such an issue if you bring it to the Genius Bar.