Prevalence of the word "app"

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by chill., Jan 6, 2010.

1. chill. macrumors 6502

anyone else notice how popular the word "app" has becoming lately?

maybe it's just me, but it seems as if the word has sprung up in the last couple years. i guess that it got popular from the app store? i remember a time when software was only referred to as applications or programs. now i'm hearing app more and more and more

i have mixed feelings about it. in a way i'm sad for the shortening/degeneration of english, in another i'm sort of amazed at how i've personally experienced this cultural change

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its much, much older. I remember it from the late 80's when NextStep used the .app extension to indicate application bundles. Developers often referred to applications as apps. I think Atari and DR-DOS also used it. Its merely a contraction.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The discussion is about how popular the word has become lately, not when it was first used, but I see your point.

I think it gets a little annoying when people use the word "app" as if "apps" are something new and exciting.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Anyway it's somewhat ironic that we call iPhone applications "apps", but not it's not really popular to call applications "apps" on a Mac, even though the extension of the phone applications is .ipa and on a Mac it's .app.

5. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

For me, "Apps" has kinda become like people using the word "gigs"(as in gigabytes)-- people just throw it out there and sound stupid while doing it.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Personally I hate the word "gigs" too, but I actually don't mind "apps".

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is no culture change, vast majority people still call softwares on windows, you might be influenced more because you are staying in a similar circle for too long ;)

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

BTW, "App" has made the

Lake Superior State University 2010 List of Banished Words

9. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I was just thinking about this tonight.

Application.

10. chill. thread starter macrumors 6502

well that put things into perspective. i actually use the term "gigs" (quite) a bit

heh heh

11. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Ya, but in the unintelligent sounding way where you just like tossing it around? I use it often enough too, but it bugs me when people who just say stuff like "You got a new iPod? How many gigs does it have?". That kinda stuff. Ya I know its "right" but it still bugs me.:p

12. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric