Prevent a metal stand from scratching Apple Watch?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2013
I just put clear packing tape over the stand. No more scratches.

When painting, you want to score the paint off (rough it up), then use a self etching primer, THEN you can coat it with anything and it will stick. If you don't, it will just peal off.

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
What, you don't like the spray rubber link I gave you for Home Depot before? :)

Btw - pics of the completed cable are on my thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1887812/

I was thinking about that more. You could just put a couple coats of clear-coat paint on the top. That's definitely WAY softer than the DLC or the 316L stainless...so you would be even less likely to wear down the coating. :)

You may want to get a matte clear coat though...so you don't make the top of it shiny vs the rest of the stand.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
The best way to prevent a metal stand from scratching your Apple Watch is to buy a wooden stand instead. ;)

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Fair warning: it may come off in time. The reason I used a self-etching primer in painting my stand was so that the paint adhered well.

Edit: I just had another thought Lupend88 - you could paint the whole thing. Then you could make it whatever colour you desire, but still having that modern style that you like.

You could better have it match / contrast the room you're planning on using it in. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.