Prevent ALL downloads?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Traverse, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Traverse, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I was hoping to get feedback from more experienced users.

I just checked my mother's Mac Mini and she has all these downloaded files and that she claims she doesn't know what they are. She just uses Google Chrome to browse youtube and stuff and has no technical knowledge.

I'm extremely annoyed. Is there any way in Google Chrome or system wide to prevent any download? I'm willing to switch her over to Safari if that's what it takes.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know that you can prevent all downloads. Some are initiated by JavaScript, but if you disable that, websites won't function properly. Many are initiated by a mouse click, which, of course, you don't want to prevent. In short, if your mom browses the web, she'll have the ability to download items, even though it may be accidental.

What you can do in Safari is make sure that "Open "safe" files after downloading" is NOT checked. You could also set Safari preferences to download to a folder other than the Downloads folder, one that she wouldn't likely see.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Deselecting that option is one of the first things I do on any Mac. She's using Google Chrome, but I may switch her to Safari with the Click-to-PLugin extension which blocks most Youtube ads and may set up parental controls.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those are definitely good ideas for a non-sophisticated user. You may have already done so, but you could also set up a standard account for her to use on a daily basis and not give her the admin password, so her ability to inadvertently change things will be minimized.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I've already done that so she can't install any applications or change system settings.

I appreciate your help, I'm going to change her browser now.

----------

Her Safari browser says that Google Safe Browsing Data is unavailable and hasn't been updated in 154 days. Do you have any idea why that might be?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A bit of Googling revealed this.

7. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you, I searched and found that answer as well, but wasn't sure if there was a better way.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

There are 2 options, I think. Change the behavior or change the result.

Changing the behavior would involve talking to your mom and getting her to stop download files.

Changing the result could include something like setting up Hazel rules to automatically clean out the downloads folder. For instance, you could set it up so that .zip & .dmg files are automatically deleted after 7 days. You can also set up rules so that images, music files, and documents are automatically moved to an organized set of folders outside of the downloads folder.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can use the Public Fox add-on with Firefox. It will prompt for a password to download files. It can also lock down many other settings.

So it won't completely block downloading as she can override with a password if it is something she actually wants. But it can make her stop and think. Unless she has you keep the password.

I'd also use Adblock Plus with the Malware and SPAM lists.