Prevent auto update of iOS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by petsk, Aug 15, 2010.

1. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

I will receive an iPhone 4 in the beginning of next week and if I've understood things correctly I will have to plug it into my Mac and activate the phone with iTunes. When doing this, will it also auto update iOS to the newest version (4.0.2) without asking? If so, can I prevent it?

I'm asking because this will be my first iPhone and I want to be able to jailbreak it, jailbreaking iOS 4.0.2 is not possible today as far as I know.

2. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

It should say something along the lines of , "A new update is available for your device.". Then it will ask you what you want to do with it. It should give you some options like "download only" and "download and install". Of course I am just going from memory here so I may not have the exact wording right. But you don't even have to do one of these choices and you can just hit "cancel" and it will just skip the update. :D

3. aandf1978 macrumors member

My guess is since you are waiting till next week, if you are buying it new from Apple or your carrier, it will already arrive with 4.0.2 on it. I can almost bet on this!!! So if I was you I wouldn't plan on being able to jailbreak just yet.

4. petsk thread starter macrumors 6502

petsk

Great, then I know. Thanks! :D

5. petsk thread starter macrumors 6502

petsk

I ordered two weeks ago, from my carrier. I sure hope you are wrong about the 4.0.2 update :(

6. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Why would they unbox every device to throw a update on it that literally does almost nothing.
    Apple doesnt care if you jailbreak.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There is no auto update. If it asks if you want to update, click the box "Don't remind me again".

8. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

lol youre so wrong. apple cares significantly if you jailbreak. it definitely is costing them millions of dollars to play this circular game with the jailbreak geniuses.

9. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Not that worth it to them.
    ATT cares a lot but apple not so much. Jailbreakers give them all their new features.
    Examples: Apps other than stock, folders, multitasking

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Apple care so much about updating the phones that in the main New York store on 5th avenue yesterday every phone i checked was still on 4.0.1. Before anyone ask no I did not try to go to jailbreakme.com.

11. diablo944 macrumors newbie

solely for reference. Ios 4.01 was available for the first time a week before I ordered my iphone. when the phone arrived from apple (3 weeks after the order was put through) it was already on 4.01.

logic says if apple announce the new ios update for download then it will likely be installed on anything made soon after that date (not that hard for them to do at source really is it). If it has already been manufactured and boxed up with an older ios then it will stay that way.

I would expect that anyone who ordered before ios 2 was announced and available for download would get a 4.01

Further to that, If I were running a large company like apple I would likely give myself a grace period to see if the new update had any unforseen issues (then again, I would likely have tested more phones to make sure there were no signal strength issues as well). but as 4.02 only had one thing to deal with they would likely just push it out fast.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.

13. petsk thread starter macrumors 6502

petsk

I received the phone last Friday and it came with 4.0.1 pre-installed.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Jailbreak it and DON'T update it.

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

And what ever you do don't Accidentally update! That seems to happen allot around here! :p TS if you do jailbreak be careful if you are on 4.0.1 and you do jailbreak you still won't be able to save your SHSH since Apple stopped signing it. in other words if you mess up you will have to upgrade too 4.0.2 and will not be able to go back.

16. petsk thread starter macrumors 6502

petsk

No, I didn't accidentally upgrade iOS ;) I jailbreaked the phone only a few hours after I got it, worked just fine :D

When I jailbreaked there was an option to save SHSH to cydia? Don't remember exactly what it was saying anymore and I haven't investigated it further. Just waiting for iOS 4.1 and a new Jailbreak now :p

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You should start saving your hashes. If you are not sure you told Cydia to make your like easier, get TinyUmbrella and use it to start saving your hashes.

18. petsk thread starter macrumors 6502

petsk

Thanks! I remember that I chose the 'make my life easier' option though :)

But do I actually need these files at some point? Only if downgrading iOS?

19. bripab007 macrumors 6502

You should both click "make my life easier" in Cydia and use Tiny Umbrella to save your hashes locally, as Tiny Umbrella makes it a tad easier to downgrade (runs a local TSS server to run interference on iTunes w/o having to manually change your hosts file). It's also good to have your own SHSHs on file in case Cydia's servers are down, unresponsive, get hacked, lose/corrupt data, etc.

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No! You will need your SHSH even to restore to the same version of the OS. Without saved SHSH, you will only be able to restore to the most recently released version of the OS (4.0.2). I hope you have 4.0.1 on file!