Prevent buying a phone that is later reported stolen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jetheat, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Jetheat macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy an iPhone from a private seller.

How do I ensure (at the time of the sale) that the seller wont turn around and report the phone stolen, thereby bricking my new phone?

What measures should I take to prevent this from happening?

Appreciate the help,

JH

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot prevent that from happening.
    Only way to be 100% is buy brand new or from someone you know personally and you trust.

3. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

There is a way. Just cant remember what it was.

4. phoebeli macrumors newbie

phoebeli

Is he your friend or someone you trust? If he is, then do not worry about it, just buy it.
    IF not

Asked the seller to restore phone settings by face

If you do not see the above information, you can enter to set --iCloud, first check whether there are bound iCloud account, then pulled the next look at the "Find My iPhone" is already open.

If you turn, the seller should be required to enter a password to close, and claims in the Settings - General - Restore - Erase all content and settings in the phone settings will be restored.

What if the seller told you forget the password, do not hesitate refuse to buy it ~

5. wakinghour macrumors regular

As far as I know the only way is to transfer the accounts at a Verizon store or Sprint store. These are the only two providers that can do this.