prevent deletion from syncing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whatupkiddo, Sep 12, 2010.

1. whatupkiddo macrumors newbie

how do you prevent my music on the iphone from being deleted all when i want to sync up ringtones or something. i cant find a way around.

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

3. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Probably the worst feature of iTunes. :mad:
    I am yet to find a way around if the items on my iPhone were previously synced [i.e. playlists, apps] and then want to move to manual setup.

4. whatupkiddo thread starter macrumors newbie

manual doesnt work

5. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I have a similar issue when wanting to sync my apps. I transferred all my purchases, but if I was to sync them it will reset my home screen layout. I will say this you guys should not be losing your playlists each time you sync. I personally make a playlist called Ipod Playlist and copy all my music to there. I then choose only sync this playlist. That way I never lose my music.

6. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

What? I can't understand what you're asking.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Is the computer your syncing with the first and only computer you set your phone up with?

If it is all you need to do is set the correct playlists to sync with your phone.

If it isn't then you should have set your iPhone up correctly in the first place.

8. whatupkiddo thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

9. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Okay so why I'm lost is because I don't know how the songs/ringtones got on your phone in the first place. If it came from iTunes then the music will sync from the phone to your computer. Just like if you bought an app. If you've gotten these songs from someone else's computer or outside source we need to know in order to answer the question.

10. whatupkiddo thread starter macrumors newbie

music from store bought cds.

11. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Well since the iPhone doesn't have a slot for a cd I'm assuming that you put this music on the computer and in the iTunes library of the computer that you want to use to sync the phone with all the time right? You aren't syncing the phone with two different computers are you?

You haven't told us how that music got off the CD and on to your iPhone. If the music is on your computer and you have a playlist made in iTunes and sync the phone nothing is gonna get erased. If you go from one computer to another then you've got to do a few things differently.

12. whatupkiddo thread starter macrumors newbie

the files get converted to m4a and stored away. idk how im suppose to explain lol

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I think in the summary screen you can put a checkmark to manually sync songs and videos (you basically will then just drag & drop them into the iPhone to pass them from your library)...
    For ringtones you can do the same or put the checkmark to sync all ringtones everytime you sync and done...

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Can't you just drag&drop ringtones onto the phone?