Prevent .DS_Store from EVERY being altered!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrCheeto, Jan 14, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I want Safari to stop being a complete whack-a-mole spaz and ALWAYS open in the same place EVERY time I open the application!

Is there a way to change the permissions of the .DS_Store file so that it can NEVER be edited, without wreaking havoc on the system?

If I quit Safari with a download window open it opens my window in a funky size and in a different location which parses me off more than Fergie's man-itude.

Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your post almost makes some sense, but .DS_Store files have absolutely nothing to do with Safari opening.

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Then which file must I hunt down and devour to obtain the sought-after results?

Name it, I've even taken down root files >8 never a liver more sweet

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said, your post ALMOST makes SOME sense, but not quite. Can you describe your problem in plain English?

5. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Every time I start Safari the window opens in a different position and size. I want it to always open the initial window in the same place and the same size but if I quit it with another window open it randomly selects one of them to remember...

What a load, man. I just want my windows to always open right, same bat place, same bat size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjNPH06A24g

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Safari remembers the last window size and position open at the time you close it. If you want to alter it, just position and resize the window, then quit Safari. Launch it again, and your home page and every new window should open up in that same size.

7. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The problem is, that requires some "maintenance".

It requires that I have the window the same size and position every time I quit, and I have to close the window before I quit.

I'm a mac user! Maintenance should be as frequent as restarts...and that's not often. My uptime is going on 14 days!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It really doesn't require maintenance of any kind. Just don't resize or reposition your windows and Safari will open them in the same place and size every time.

This might be a hack that could do what you want, but I can't vouch for whether it works or not:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20090421162146583

9. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Wrong. If any Download, popup, info or OTHER window opens in ANY other position, it will "reset" the size and position setting when I start again.

The window I want as default has to be the last to be closed or it won't save it.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't matter if other windows open, as long as you make sure the last window you close is the one in the right position and size. Also, you can easily block popup windows. You can also install SafariStand to prevent window size alteration:
    Picture 1.jpg

11. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

You could write a short Applescript to open Safari with whatever window sizing/positioning you want and use that to launch Safari instead of clicking Safari's icon. Just a thought...

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I understand what you want, MrCheeto: a way to set a fixed position and size for the original Safari window when you launch it. For a slightly similar reason, I wish that TextEdit documents remembered their width or that I could set an initial size for TextEdit windows. I have files I edit regularly and must resize (to be wider) every time I open them.

One question: Why do you ever quit and re-launch Safari? Can't you leave your Mac on and your main Safari window open all the time? You can press command-H if you don't want to see it, but Safari would remain open and what it does upon launch would never be an issue.

13. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

Applescript solution:

First, arrange your Safari window how you want it -- position, window sizes, etc.

Issue this applescript "command"
    Code:
    tell application "Safari"
    	get bounds of window 1
    end tell

Note/copy the results window the numbers shown in braces.

Then write this applescript code

Code:
    tell application "Safari"
    	launch
    	set the bounds of the first window to {0, 0, 1052, 761}
    end tell

Replacing the numbers in the braces with your own.

If you don't want any interaction at all, you can save the Applescript as an application during the save process. You can probably go so far as to changing the Applescript icon to that of Safari so that it "fools" you into believing that it is the Safari app. ;)

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Am I correct that this will work if you use the Applescript app to launch Safari, but won't help when Safari is auto-launched when you, say, click a link in an email message?

Is it possible to change your "web-browser application" to be the Applescript?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you save the AppleScript as an app, that should be possible.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

This is what I am hearing: "I close all my windows and then quit Safari." Skip the first part. Put the browser window at the size and place you want it. Then quit Safari. Do not close the window before quitting Safari. If you have multiple windows open, it should remember the location of the window on top.

This is the way Macs have been defeating those nasty pop-unders for years: you can quit a browser and all its windows disappear at once.