Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
If I try to delete a folder like MOVIES say "music cant be modified or deleted because is required by mac os x"

great!!! I need that with a folder that I create, how can make that???, I need that for prevent that folder can be erased.

help! thanks

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Try creating a folder you can afford to loose and then right click and choose get info... see if you can lock the folder and see if that helps... else Google and search are your friends.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
Try creating a folder you can afford to loose and then right click and choose get info... see if you can lock the folder and see if that helps... else Google and search are your friends.

well, works at 50%, he ask if I want put on trash, if put yes, they go to trash... see attachments please

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 51

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The reason you can't move this built-in folders to the trash on Mac OS X because they are an integral part of the system as well as being part of your Home folder. If they were to be deleted it could cause instability of the system. Setting your own folder to be prevented won't produce the same exact reaction but it does work and your almost there.

Once you lock the folder and accept the message to allow it to go into the Trash you won't be able to empty the Trash without another message appearing so it's not easy to accidentally delete a personal folder.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-12-26 at 9.37.50 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-12-26 at 9.37.50 AM.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 62

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
The reason you can't move this built-in folders to the trash on Mac OS X because they are an integral part of the system as well as being part of your Home folder.

Well I just moved my "Movies" folder to the Trash and emptied it. Call me crazy, but I don't think deleting the "Movies" folder is going to cause my system to crash, but here's to hoping.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If I try to delete a folder like MOVIES say "music cant be modified or deleted because is required by mac os x"

great!!! I need that with a folder that I create, how can make that???, I need that for prevent that folder can be erased.

help! thanks

The Movies folder, and others, are prevented from being modified or deleted by an Access Control List (ACL).

To see the list's contents, enter this Terminal command-line:

Code:
ls -led ~/Movies

The C functions that work with ACLs are documented here:
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man3/acl.3.html

The command-line tool that modifies ACLs is chmod:

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/chmod.1.html

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Well I just moved my "Movies" folder to the Trash and emptied it. Call me crazy, but I don't think deleting the "Movies" folder is going to cause my system to crash, but here's to hoping.

Well, I never said deleting folders out of your Home folder would cause the system to crash, I said it could cause instability. When you download or install movie files the system will be looking for that movie folder to place them in. Well, I'm glad you decided to be the guinea pig, not me. I would've created a second user account and tried that first. Good luck. :p

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Well, I never said deleting folders out of your Home folder would cause the system to crash, I said it could cause instability. When you download or install movie files the system will be looking for that movie folder to place them in.

Hmmm, well I haven't changed my Leopard install since I installed it a couple years ago and my Movies folder was still empty. I'm not going to worry about it.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think the OS may create a new Movies folder if it ever needs one to put something in it. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it created one and left it empty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.