prevent external clone spinning up when spotlighting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by richard.mac, Sep 30, 2007.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ive got my system cloned onto an external drive using superduper. when i have the external plugged in and mounted after a while it will spin down because ive checked "put the hard disk to sleep when possible" in the energy saver preferences. then when i do i spotlight search it spins up again. how do i stop it from doing this? its heaps annoying in a quiet environment.
    ive tried putting the volume in spotlights privacy list and the "sudo mdutil -E -i off /Volumes/drivename/" command which turns off indexing and remove indices on the volume but neither have worked. does anyone know how to stop it? the only way i know how to is to just unmount it or just eject it which is very unpractial as i need access to other partitions on the external.

EDIT: and just then as i was not touching anything and just typing in safari it did it again! ANNOYING!

2. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

bump.

does anyone know?

in short -> stop waking external clone when searching in spotlight.

i wouldnt mind disabling spotlight from searching the external forever. adding the external volume to spotlight's privacy list and the mdutil commands just dont seem to work