Prevent file name truncation for desktop icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kirkbross, Sep 25, 2015.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Is there a way to prevent file name truncation on the desktop?

I don't care if my file name is a thousand characters long and creates a giant paragraph below my icon, I want to see each and ever single character of the file name with no ellipsis.

I don't mind "text wrapping" to prevent gigantic widths, but I cannot stand truncation.

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Setting the grid spacing to maximum will help for many longer names, but for really long ones there is still some truncation unfortunately. Using an intermediate font size helps keep the name as long as possible. 2 lines seems the maximum.

Opening the desktop in a folder window is what I do, we have filenames with a 31 character UIDD in their name and they are always too long.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

In a prior OS version (Snow Leopard, I think) there was a Terminal command that would accomplish this. It doesn't work anymore because the value (FXDesktopLayoutGridCharCount) in the Preference file (com.apple.finder) it modified (from the default 20) doesn't exist anymore...and there's nothing in there that replaces it as far as I can tell.

4. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross