Prevent from connecting to public wifi?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by orbitalpunk, Oct 3, 2017.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

When my iPhone is off or in airplane mode, my Apple Watch 3 LTE keeps joining my free city public wifi in my neighborhood when when cellular is on. How can I prevent it from joining unsecured networks like that as I find them unsafe.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Forget it on your phone. That's where it's getting the connection info from.

3. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

isn't that option only available on wifi networks that require a password? this is a unsecured public wifi provided by the city that anyone can hop on. How can I then get my iPhone to ignore that work?

4. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

Next time you’re connected to that wifi with your phone go in the wifi settings and turn off Auto-join....

[​IMG]

5. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

Also every time you update iOS, I believe your carrier also puts it auto join. I “forget” attwifi but comes back. It’s a pain because you don’t know that you even joined. I go in to “forget” and I’m okay until the carrier updates things on your phone.

6. deeddawg, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

deeddawg macrumors 604

Answers above.

Plus, are you doing military secret stuff on your watch? Personally I'm not nearly interesting enough to worry about using public wifi for mundane stuff. I really don't care who sees me check the sports scores or the weather, or see whatever stupid photo a friend sent. Maybe if I was a multi-billion-dollar company CEO I might be more concerned with someone intercepting my emails or messages, but I don't think I'll ever need to worry about that.

(most "commercial" wifi deployments, unless someone screwed up, disallow one device from sniffing the traffic from the other devices on that access point. Traffic only goes from the end point to/from the destination and isn't typically visible to other end-points. Exception being if they're really just reading the radio signals, and if someone is THAT interested in you it doesn't much matter if you're on wifi or cell. c.f. http://www.pic-six.net/ )

7. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

That’s not the point, free public WiFi usually has a browser level splash page that will require the user to interact with before allowing connections. Without safari on the Watch there is no way to hit ‘accept’ so the watch can never achieve a true internet connection.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Were you reading a different post than I read? OP specifically wrote: "How can I prevent it from joining unsecured networks like that as I find them unsafe" That's what I was addressing.