Prevent from losing data?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by lovewd, Jun 20, 2014.

1. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

I'm wondering what the best solution is to keep my data from iOS 7. I know I'm going to end up restoring to iOS 7, but I don't want my iOS 7 backup to be replaced by the iOS 8 one because I don't want to lose my stuff so how do I prevent this from happening?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Backup to your computer before updating to iOS 8 and that will be you your last iOS 7 backup that you can use.

3. lovewd thread starter macrumors 6502

lovewd

I already updated to iOS 8....anything else I can do?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

You have any backups from iOS 7, either locally on some computer or remotely in iCloud?

5. lovewd thread starter macrumors 6502

lovewd

I've backed up to iCloud a bunch of times when I was on iOS 7

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

So you should have an iOS 7 backup there then. Make sure that your iCloud backup is disabled in iOS 8 (and hopefully that it hasn't backed up there since you upgraded to iOS 8).

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If you haven't already made an iTunes backup in iOS 8 your iOS 7 backup (if you had one) will still be there. There's a chance iOS 8 will start a new backup and not overwrite the iOS 7 one. For both of those cases I'd copy the backup files to a secure location.

Similar for iCloud backups. As C DM said You either haven't backed up in iOS 8 and still have your iOS 7 backup or you backed up with iOS 8 and your iOS 7 backup is gone.