Prevent iCloud Sync for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JNL Productions, Oct 11, 2011.

1. JNL Productions macrumors member

My father recently bought an iPad 2 for himself and he didn't want to bother with the setup so I let him use my Apple ID. He likes to play Angry Birds and a couple other apps that I've bought with my account. Anyways, I've noticed some things (mostly apps and music) that when I buy, automatically sync to his iPad 2. Not that I'm a mischevious person or anything, but there are certain things that I'd rather not have syncing to his device. Is there any way to allow him to keep playing his apps and keep his data while also wiping all of my account info and preventing syncs to his device?

Thanks

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

Go to settings - - store on the ipad and deselect apps and anything else you don't want to sync automatically.

3. JNL Productions thread starter macrumors member

4. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

I would worry about mischief in the other direction.

What would happen if your father's device was stolen and someone turned the cloud sync back on? Would they get access to any data you'd rather keep private? If they changed or deleted your data, could it create problems for you? Do you have a passcode set on your father's device?

The cloud changes things, and we don't understand the implications yet. I think you'd be far better off re-registering your father's iPad under his own account and just buying Angry Birds and any other games he wants.

5. Speedyparker87 macrumors member

Just make sure you leave Find my iPhone turned on so that you can remote lock/wipe. Plus, he probably doesn't take the iPad out of the house, so it's not high risk. You could also just use separate IDs for syncing vs purchases.

6. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Separate IDs wouldn't help with the privacy of the data.

Find my iPhone can't work if the device has been taken offline. A cloud-savvy hacker could put enable cloud services, sync with the cloud, then disable all communications to the device. Or maybe they'd sit behind a firewall hacked to filter Find my iPhone messages.

The cloud presents new risks to security. They should not be ignored.