Prevent iPhone backup over WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SweeneyD24, Jul 13, 2014.

1. SweeneyD24 macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if there's a way that i can prevent my iPhone from doing a backup every time i sync it over wifi!?

I mean, i would prefer to manually backup my iPhone whenever i feel like doing it, for practical purpose mainly.
    I think at least twice a week is enough.

The main issue here is that, i often sync my iPhone with iTunes over wifi because i'm constantly updating my library. Every time i sync my iPhone, iTunes performs a backup first and it takes an awful amount of time.
    It's not quite practical, if you want to quickly update your iPhone's library before leaving.

If anyone, feels the same way, please share your thoughts.

Thanx.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is likely your library that is taking up a lot of time backing up. Only think I can think is to turn off all backups and do a manual backup on a regular basis. I realize that you are wanting to keep your music backed up.

Sounds like evey time you make even a small change to your library, you feel the need to get it backed up. Maybe relax and let it do it at night when you are hopefully sleeping.

3. SweeneyD24 thread starter macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

I believe every time iTunes performs a sync, it does a back up of the device entirely(on my computer). I'm not worried about backing up my music(on iCloud), it's just that every time i add a song yo my iTunes library and sync my iPhone, i would prefer to skip the whole backup process that iTunes does before syncing the device and go directly to the syncing so that i can have my music(newly added) on my iPhone.
    It would be much faster that way.

In other words, i just want to skip the backup process when syncing over wifi.

4. guochenyesa macrumors newbie

Copy:you feel the need to get it backed up. Maybe relax and let it do it at night when you are hopefully sleeping.[​IMG]

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I appreciate your wanting to back up every time you make a change to your library, but some might think that is a little obsessive. Is there any way you could be happy with just letting your device backup while you sleep? That way you would never have to wait.

One full backup a day is usually enough to insure you never loose data. Basically I am asking you to relax on you backing up any time you make a change and just do it once a day while you sleep.

6. SweeneyD24 thread starter macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

Ok! Let me get this straight as it looks like there may be a confusion.

Every time i sync my iPhone with iTunes over wifi, iTunes performs a backup. I, on the other hand, want to SKIP the back up while syncing over wifi.

Can anyone tell me how (if possible) to SKIP the backup when syncing over wifi?!

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I don't believe that's possible.
    Me, I want my iPhone backed up as frequently as possible to my computer because you never know what will happen.

8. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

The advice everyone is giving you is correct and of course the reason it takes so long is because of the size of what you are backing up but... Simply tether your phone to iTunes and go to the summary tab, Hit backup and leave it alone. It will only do a backup and that's it, When done just unhook it and take it with you even though it still might not time it won't go through everything else.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No confusion on our part. You can't do what you want to do. :eek: