Prevent OSX Firewall from Asking Permission to Allow Dropbox and iTunes Connections

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SteinMaster, Jan 20, 2011.

1. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

How do I keep OSX Firewall from asking permission to accept incoming connections for Dropbox and iTunes? I checked my Firewall permissions in Admin and they are set to allow Dropbox and iTunes. Every time I turn on my MBP, I am asked to allow incoming connections when synching with Dropbox. When I launch iTunes for the first time, it also asks me for permission. It is a pain since I have to keep entering my Admin name and password. Any advise?

Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The firewall settings are listed in an order that I don't find to be intuitive. Unlike a stoplight which goes green, yellow, red, the firewall settings are more like green (top pick - allow all incoming connections), red (allow only essential services), yellow (allow the services you list).
    [​IMG]
    The middle pick (allow only essential services) is the most restrictive. There is a short tutorial on firewall settings here. It is possible you have some services listed, but you have the middle option picked and whatever you have listed is ignored.

3. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Huh. May Firewall screen is different from yours. It does not give me the options you have. See the other screen shot for my settings. I can't figure out why this is happening. It's just annoying I have to enter my Admin and passcode every time. There is no other options for me to select to allow auto access to these apps.

Attached Files:

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

Please open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter

Code:
    codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app
    You should get this:

Code:
    /Applications/iTunes.app: valid on disk
    /Applications/iTunes.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement
    Do you?

5. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

No. I got this:

codesign -vvv /applications/itunes.app
    /applications/itunes.app: a sealed resource is missing or invalid
    /applications/itunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesASUHelper: resource modified
    /applications/itunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper: resource modified

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

Right. That's the problem, at least for iTunes. It seems that the iTunes package was incorrectly code-signed by Apple at some point. The solution is to delete iTunes from your Applications folder (this won't delete any of your music or prefs) and download a new copy. After doing so, redo the Terminal command and see if you get what I posted.

7. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Great. I will do this and see what happens. If it fixes it, I will also do same for Dropbox.

8. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Ok. It's fixed. iTunes loads a lot faster.

/applications/itunes.app: valid on disk
    /applications/itunes.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

Next is Dropbox. Thanks for the help!!!