Prevent overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by makismagoo99, Sep 18, 2010.

1. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I'm using my MacBook for a wedding slideshow that will run on continuous loop for about 4-5 hours. I am a little concerned about overheating from running so long. What can I do to prevent overheating? I thought of The SMC fan control app, but don't know what the settings should be...any other options or ideas? Thanks!!

2. tpg macrumors regular

A slideshow shouldn't put much load on the processor, so I doubt you'll get too much heat generated. I would generally say that using a fan control app to override the default settings is not a good idea - if for no other reason that if something does go wrong the warranty will probably be voided since you forced a certain fan speed.

So long as you make sure that the ventilation is unobstructed, you should be just fine.

3. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I was planning to run the computer in clamshell mode...do you think that poses any ventilation issues?

I understand well that the computers get pretty hot under even fairly light use...I've had it for nearly 4 years. My concern was for the duration of the elevated temperatures. I didn't find anything after a quick search...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not at all. MacBooks vent through the back, near the hinge. They're designed to be able to operate without problems in clamshell mode.
    If temps are high for a sustained period of time, your fans may spin up to keep things cooled down. If temps are too high, your Mac will automatically shut down to prevent damage.

5. tpg macrumors regular

I don't know what precise model of macbook you have, however I have used mine (late 2007) in clamshell mode under heavy load for extended periods of time with no issue. It gets rather warm, but even with slightly obstructed ventilation it was fine.

6. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

That's good to know, makes me feel a bit better. Thanks!!

Thanks for the input, mine's a late 2006 model (the first ones with the C2D processors).

7. Vasilis macrumors regular

Vasilis

Hello, I used to own a macbook (I am returning it, because there is a problem with the case, the macbook wobbles on a flat surface).

In this short period of time that I used the macbook, I realized that the area which is next to the track-pad would get extremely hot. This is because, the hdd is underneath it. Is it possible to control the CPU fan?

8. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

i think sms fan control lets you control your fans manually. you can choose which has what speed.

9. Pax macrumors 6502a

This may be due to Spotlight indexing your HDD.
    Spotlight is the system-wide search feature. It has to make an index of your HDD. IIRC when a Mac is new it can take several hours for Spotlight to do this. During this time it works the HDD and the CPU quite hard as it accesses all the files. This could make your HDD quite warm.

You can see if Spotlight is working:- the magnifying glass in the menu bar pulsates. Also if you open Activity Monitor and select All Processes you will see processes called mds and mdworker using a lot of CPU. That's Spotlight.

My best advice is, when you get a new Mac, don't worry about a hot HDD for the first few hours. Also don't worry about short battery life - Spotlight indexing eats battery for the same reasons.

If after a while (eg 24 hours), Spotlight has stopped indexing and you still have a hot palm rest, come back on here and we can do some more diagnostics.

10. JonnyMac1971 macrumors newbie

Macbook pro heat

Listen... I got a macbook pro mid 2010 i7 and it gets hot, especially when playing video or other CPU/GPU 'taxing' activities. What I do is use a 8x10 frozen gelpack under the mac and I get temperatures of under 40 deg Celsius with fans at 2000 rpm compared to 70-80 without and One gelpack is good for this for over 3 hours. So go buy a few gelpacks and enjoy a cool mac, Then just throw it back in the freezer. The type i use are from a company called Cryopak. Works for me.