prevent process to start up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bas-macfan, Sep 12, 2010.

1. bas-macfan macrumors member

I have a process running prl_vm_service and it is making my HDD verry noisy. I think that spotlight keep indexing this file. Because when is shut down this process my HDD become almost silent.

I would like to prevent this process to startup when I reboot my iMac. Is there a way to do this. I am aware that Parralles (this process belongs to it) needs it, but still I want to prevent this process to startup.

Thanks in advance!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Are you running Parallels?

The process is used for the virtual machine.

3. bas-macfan thread starter macrumors member

Yes, i am aware of that. But i use it rarely. So i want to start and stop this process manually.

Anybody knows how?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Is it in your Login Items in System Prefs > Accounts?

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Doubtful.The majority of the services for parallels are Daemons. So you need to look in:

/Library/LaunchDaemons
    /Library/StartupItems (if they are ignoring deprecation of startupitems)

Alternatively, they may be LaunchAgents (login items not tied to com.apple.loginitems.plist which are set in Account Prefs). These can be in

/Library/LaunchAgents
    ~/Library/LaunchAgents

If they are ignoring best practice altogether, you may find them in the equivalent /System/Library folders.

To find that particular service, look for plists related to parallels, they are typically named by reverse hostname like com.parallels.

You can quick look plists otherwise you will need Property List Editor or a text editor like TextMate (or convert it using plutil), find the one launching prl_vm and trash or move it elsewhere.

If I used Parallels, I would be more specific :D