Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocoatronik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
When I click on Safai's back button, instead of displaying the page I had just visited, Safari frequently displays an outdated version of the page.

Common examples are wish lists at Amazon or Ikea, or watch lists at eBay. For example, I'll click on an item on the current list -- but when I try to go "back," I see auctions that have ended days ago. Typically, the outdated pages are 1-5 days old.

It's especially frustrating when I use the swipe gesture to go back, because I can see the correct page being revealed as I swipe, only to be replaced by an incorrect page when I'm done.

Clearing the cache just delays the problem's next onset.

I'm using Safari 5.1 with Lion. I've never noticed this problem under prior versions -- although internet searches suggest people have been experiencing this issue since Safari 3. Is there some setting I'm missing?

DocBaron

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Same Problem, Safari loads old pages with back button

When I click on Safai's back button, instead of displaying the page I had just visited, Safari frequently displays an outdated version of the page.

Common examples are wish lists at Amazon or Ikea, or watch lists at eBay. For example, I'll click on an item on the current list -- but when I try to go "back," I see auctions that have ended days ago. Typically, the outdated pages are 1-5 days old.

It's especially frustrating when I use the swipe gesture to go back, because I can see the correct page being revealed as I swipe, only to be replaced by an incorrect page when I'm done.

Clearing the cache just delays the problem's next onset.

I'm using Safari 5.1 with Lion. I've never noticed this problem under prior versions -- although internet searches suggest people have been experiencing this issue since Safari 3. Is there some setting I'm missing?

I am experiencing the same problem on my MacBook Pro. Running Lion 10.7.2, Safari 5.1.1.
After reading a post on HuffPost, using the back arrow brings me to a page that is 4-5 days old. Refresh fixes it, but it is really becoming annoying. I have cleared the cache, several times, no fix. I deleted all the cookies related to HuffPost (where I am observing this bug) but no fix. I am hesitant to delete all my cookies, as I do a lot of banking/research online and this would delete all stored passwords, login info, etc.

I'd greatly appreciate a fix or aknowledgement from Apple on this.

DocBaron

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Clarification...

I am experiencing the same problem on my MacBook Pro. Running Lion 10.7.2, Safari 5.1.1.
After reading a post on HuffPost, using the back arrow brings me to a page that is 4-5 days old. Refresh fixes it, but it is really becoming annoying. I have cleared the cache, several times, no fix. I deleted all the cookies related to HuffPost (where I am observing this bug) but no fix. I am hesitant to delete all my cookies, as I do a lot of banking/research online and this would delete all stored passwords, login info, etc.

I'd greatly appreciate a fix or aknowledgement from Apple on this.

To clarify: When I hit refresh, it fixes the problem for that time only. Subsequent returns to the main page result in the same old outdated page loading.

cocoatronik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Disable cache...?

...I deleted all the cookies related to HuffPost (where I am observing this bug) but no fix. I am hesitant to delete all my cookies, as I do a lot of banking/research online and this would delete all stored passwords, login info, etc...
I don't think it's a cookie issue. I think it's strictly a cache issue with Safari failing to recognize which version of a page is most recent.

It's strange because Safari appears to have the correct version and actually displays it when you swipe slowly. But for some reason, Safari replaces that with an older version as soon as the gesture is complete.

Here's something to try: Under Safari > Preferences > Advanced, click the box to "Show Develop menu in menu bar." This menu has an option to "Disable Caches." Of course, this would eliminate all benefits of caching in the first place (faster loading), but might be worth a try.

DocBaron

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Safari loading old pages...

I don't think it's a cookie issue. I think it's strictly a cache issue with Safari failing to recognize which version of a page is most recent.

It's strange because Safari appears to have the correct version and actually displays it when you swipe slowly. But for some reason, Safari replaces that with an older version as soon as the gesture is complete.

Here's something to try: Under Safari > Preferences > Advanced, click the box to "Show Develop menu in menu bar." This menu has an option to "Disable Caches." Of course, this would eliminate all benefits of caching in the first place (faster loading), but might be worth a try.

I tried disabling caches, emptying them, restarting, but no joy. Safari corrected it's behavior inexplicably for a couple days, now it's back to showing a newer "old" page. I temporarily switched to Chrome until the problem is fixed.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
kept getting the same in Safari, tried options in Develop & Debug menu to try and stop this but nothing worked

I now use the Safari.app from Snow Leopard (5.0) and it works as it used to (no full screen though, but i don't use this)

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Same issue here, even on my IPad, hope someone can figure it out soon.

eternalife

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Same here. I noticed it here (MR)! Look at threads and then go back. The 'most recent' thread sort is all messed up. You see old posts. I hope they fix this one soon.

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
I didn't have this problem until today, when I upraged my 7 year old ADSL modem. (I was reading articles on a news website, and when I hit the back button to go to the news home page I was getting yesterday's news. Swiping back would show the correct page, but then it would reload yesterdays news a second later).

I was suspicious of my new modem. in my case a Dlink DSL-2470B. The auto time setting (which uses internet time servers) on the modem was showing an hour ahead, so I turned off the auto setting and set the clock manually, to the same time as the computer. Now when I use the back button in Safari I get today's page.

(note: I also use the manual time setting on my computer as well, since these time servers never get daylight savings right)

So I suggest people could check the clocks on their modems, for a possible culprit.

Note: I also posted this on Apple's discussion forums.

iau

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
I have been having the same problem for a while now. It doesn't reload yesterdays page, but a week old. It's really annoying and it seems one can't get any assistant/reply from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.