prevent sleep while uploading or downloading

dantastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
I have just bought a macbook pro to replace my iMac.

I have noticed that the laptop is falling asleep in the middle of downloads and uploads for instance. Is there any way of stopping this?

So if I walk away from the laptop with a file downloading in Firefox I don't want the laptop to fall asleep, I want it to continue to download the file.

Similarly I have scheduled online backups happening at night, well, they used to happen..... It looks like perhaps they are starting but when I start using the computer in the morning they are not complete. It looks like nothing has been uploaded.

I see there is a setting to disable sleep completely but that's not really what I want either, just disable sleep when there is significant network traffic due to me uploading or downloading.

Steelseries

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2013
What I do is to set: Turn display off after to Never at system preferences, energy saver
Activate Screen Saver
Turn Brightness all the way down.

tigerintank

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
In energy saver i have 'Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off' ticked.

This is on a late 2013 rMBP.

I know it works as I'm uploading photos (very slowly) and left it on overnight with no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.