prevent sleep while uploading or downloading

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dantastic, Dec 29, 2013.

1. dantastic macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2011
    I have just bought a macbook pro to replace my iMac.

I have noticed that the laptop is falling asleep in the middle of downloads and uploads for instance. Is there any way of stopping this?

So if I walk away from the laptop with a file downloading in Firefox I don't want the laptop to fall asleep, I want it to continue to download the file.

Similarly I have scheduled online backups happening at night, well, they used to happen..... It looks like perhaps they are starting but when I start using the computer in the morning they are not complete. It looks like nothing has been uploaded.

I see there is a setting to disable sleep completely but that's not really what I want either, just disable sleep when there is significant network traffic due to me uploading or downloading.
  2. Steelseries macrumors member

Aug 2, 2013
    What I do is to set: Turn display off after to Never at system preferences, energy saver
    Activate Screen Saver
    Turn Brightness all the way down.
  3. tigerintank macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2013
    In energy saver i have 'Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off' ticked.

This is on a late 2013 rMBP.

I know it works as I'm uploading photos (very slowly) and left it on overnight with no issues.
  4. Shrink macrumors G3

Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA
    Down load "Caffeine" app. All is does is keep your MBP from sleeping when you activate it.