Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doctoree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Secret lair/ Earthmiddlepoint
When I launch an app or open a window they appear next to the Dock wasting precious screen space. I can of course move them manually under the Dock to get the space back but I'm searching a way to tell the dock to always be on top of everything instead of moving it away.
I already searched Google and used numerous Apps like "Docker" and "Secrets"- without sucess.

Especially on my mothers small 17incher with 1024x768px resolution and only a couple of things in the Dock, the Dock is stealing like 20 Percent of real estate.

Doc

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
You can hide the Dock (right click on the separator between apps and stacks and select "Turn Hiding On"). Now the Dock will show only when you hover your mouse at the bottom of the screen.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I know I can hide it. I constantly do that using Command+Control+D but I want the best out of both worlds. The advantages of the dock AND a lot of space on my screen.

Wouldn't having the dock set to autohide be the best of both worlds?
At what point do you need the dock to be there other than when launching programs/stacks?

The Best of Both Worlds, in 10 Easy Steps.

Step 1: Hide dock.
Step 2: Have screen space.
Step 3: See need to open something.
Step 4: Move mouse to bottom/side.
Step 5: Dock appears.
Step 6: Find program, click mouse.
Step 7: Program opens.
Step 8: Move mouse away.
Step 9: Dock disappears.
Step 10: Screen space once more.

You can do all this and much more in just 3 seconds!
Hurry, this feature ends soon!
(and Apple will haunt us with the dock all day long)

:D

doctoree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Wouldn't having the dock set to autohide be the best of both worlds?

Not quite unfortunately. With the Dock invisible I have numerous disadvantages:
I can't see badges the app icons may have
I can't see which apps are open
I can't switch apps with one click
I can't make drag and drop operations quickly

I'm a pro user which means I don't want to waste time thinking about the dock. Using funny three finger key combos (cmd+alt+d) or gestures (moving the mouse cursor to the screen boarder) was a temporary solution until today but now I'm sick of it.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sounds like you need a dock replacement application. There are quite a few of these, but DragThing is the only one I'm familiar with.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I can't see which apps are open
I can't switch apps with one click

I'm a pro user which means I don't want to waste time thinking about the dock. Using funny three finger key combos (cmd+alt+d) or gestures (moving the mouse cursor to the screen boarder) was a temporary solution until today but now I'm sick of it.

Cmd + Tab

Whats a pro user? :D

Really there is not much to think about.

doctoree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
HI guys,
I appreciate your help but I already tried your suggestions....

Cmd+Tab:
Very good and pro like as long as you don't have many programs open at the same time. Because if you do, depending on from which app you are switching to another may take you 17x Cmd+Tab. And in the Dock: 1x LMB.

Growl:
Not reliable because it must be supported by the Apps you are using it with.
(Note to Apple: Please make a Growl-like API)

Maybe the solution is to just buy an incredibly large Screen and the just waste the space :) But I need to see those pixels...
Doc

messedkid

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Oshawa, ON
HI guys,
I appreciate your help but I already tried your suggestions....

Cmd+Tab:
Very good and pro like as long as you don't have many programs open at the same time. Because if you do, depending on from which app you are switching to another may take you 17x Cmd+Tab. And in the Dock: 1x LMB.

Press Cmd+Tab once, then while holding Cmd use the Arrow Keys to navigate through the menu. This way you won't have to cycle through all open apps and just find the one you want. ;)

doctoree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Press Cmd+Tab once, then while holding Cmd use the Arrow Keys to navigate through the menu. This way you won't have to cycle through all open apps and just find the one you want. ;)

Thanks for this tip but a single LMB Click (on a Dock item) is still faster and more elegant.
And drag and drop operations aren't possible inside the cmd+tab Interface.

DSG

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Well, I'm not sure what a pro user is - does it just mean that you use your computer for work? Interestingly that is what I should probably be doing right now...

Anyway, the solution to your problem is to put the Dock on the left or right - applications will then open beneath it. Simple. Looks ugly but then as a pro user I imagine that won't be a consideration.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Just make the dock smaller?? Seems like the easiest solution.
Maginification will make them bigger when you mouse over

doctoree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Just make the dock smaller?? Seems like the easiest solution.
Maginification will make them bigger when you mouse over

Making it smaller only makes the space waste less apparent and at the same time reduces comfort. Magnification makes fast drag and drop operations harder to use because the icons in the dock change their location and "swim" while under magnification.

@DSG: That's a common term. And your right, I'm using my computer for work and I'm trying to get the best efficiency out of it while doing that.

My Dock is on the left and it behaves exactly like it behaves when on the right or at the bottom. Apps launch next to it, not underneath it. When its hidden and apps are already launched, unhiding it pushes some apps away while others stay underneath it. Also I would prefer the dock to be at the bottom because most apps I use have gui at the left screen boarder which I don't want to be covered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.