Prevent users from unchecking "require password to wake computer..."?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by edeneye, Mar 24, 2012.

1. edeneye macrumors newbie

I've recently been given the task of securing a small network. One of the things we want to have happen is to have the computers lock down after a period of inactivity.

The easy thing for this, of course, is to require a password after the computer goes to sleep or the screen saver starts. The only problem is that I have users unchecking this in the Security preference pane, as it's a user preference (they don't need to authenticate as an admin to turn it off).

I know I can log them out after a period of inactivity, but that closes all files and programs and is a bit more of a pain for everyone. I also have people purposefully leaving an unsaved file open so the logout gets interrupted by the program's save dialog. If I could just have the password prompt all the time, without users able to uncheck it, we'd be satisfied.

Is there a way to make the user preference "require password to wake computer from sleep or screen saver" only editable to an admin account? So that it is greyed out like the rest of the security preferences?

I am aware of the method outlined here but I'd like to not worry about a repair permissions resetting that. I'd rather have the check mark greyed out for users without admin privileges.

The clients in question are using 10.5.8.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I haven't tried it, but you should be able to use Parental Controls to prevent users from even launching System Preferences.

3. edeneye thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, and yes, but that's a bit overkill for what I'm aiming for.
    I'm not worried about them accessing the usual user-based preferences, like changing their desktop pictures or what screensaver they use, I just don't want them unchecking the "password on screensaver" option.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sorry, restricting access to particular preferences while allowing access to others isn't doable. It's all or nothing.