Prevent uTorrent from connecting on certain networks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Phazor, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Phazor macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I go to a university where there is a weekly network usage limit, and I don't want uTorrent sucking it up. I know the simplest way to go about stopping it is from working is closing it when I get to school or stopping my torrents, but this can result in me forgetting about it. Is there an automated way to block uTorrent while I'm connected to this specific network?

Thanks in advance.

2. skier777 macrumors 6502

Bump. I would love to know how to do this too.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you could get this done with ControlPlane. Maybe setup an Applescript to run that pauses the torrent when a given network is detected.

4. skier777 macrumors 6502

Thanks. Thats a great idea but i wouldn't even know where to begin writing the script. Do you know of/could you point me towards a forum where I could ask for help?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can tell Applescript to basically click menu options for you.

So I am thinking you could tell ControlPlane to run a Applescript when the uni. network is detected. Then write the script so it clicks whichever UTorrent menu choice pauses all torrents.

It would look something like below. I don't know which menu choice it is, so you will need to look at UTorrent and make adjustments to the script. You should only need to change the two sections in quotes in that click menu line.

Code:
    tell application "UTorrent" to activate
    tell application "System Events"
    	tell application process "UTorrent"
    		click menu item "Pause Torrents" of menu "File" of menu bar 1
    	end tell
    end tell