Preventing "best guess" search (Firefox 3)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macstatic, Jul 12, 2008.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I would like to get rid of the search bar in Firefox 3 and instead use the URL bar for searching as well as entering URLs.
    Entering a search phrase followed by pressing RETURN works fine as it presents me with the Google search results, but what I don't like is that Firefox also tries to guess where I want to go! :eek:

For instance, type mozilla in the URL bar, press RETURN and presto! you've been directed to http://mozilla.org

This page explains how to turn off the above feature (using about:config and setting browser.urlbar.MatchOnlyTyped to true), but it doesn't remove the feature here (Firefox 3.0).
    Have I missed something, or is there a better solution that actually works?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

That solved my problem. Thanks! :)
    I also tried the browser.urlbar.MatchOnlyTyped after reading your explanation, and you're right -with it switched to the default false anything typed into the URLbar which matches the name of a previously bookmarked site will pop up as a suggestion. With it set to true it doesn't look through my bookmarks (I'm sure it'll speed up Firefox a bit if there are a lot of bookmarks as well).

Any other useful configurations for the "awfulbar"/"awesomebar" worth mentioning?

Most of these things aren't really documented (or documented in a way for mere mortals to understand), so I hope the developers some day add options for switching this kind of stuff off/on through Firefox's preferences.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting stuff! I'll take a closer look later, but for now I'm very happy about fixing the "Keyword.URL" so that it gives me a complete search result for exactly what I typed.

The last URL you posted (list of "about:config) doesn't work :(

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin