Preventing black spots/areas on unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CyberGhostface, Aug 22, 2012.

1. CyberGhostface macrumors newbie

I've noticed on my unibody that there are some black spots on the unibody near the keyboard as well as some areas on the edge of my keyboard.

I'm getting my unibody replaced for a separate reason but I was wondering if I could know A.) what these are and B.) is there anyway to prevent them? Is it just a matter of regularly wiping it down after use? Not putting down my hands too much on the palm rest?

Image (taken via my cellphone) is at the link below.

http://i.imgur.com/Uq3jl.jpg

Thanks. :)

2. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

looks like dirt build up

have u even atempted to clean it?

3. CyberGhostface thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have. The spots at least don't come off. Just damp tissues though.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is a common problem with the Macbook Pros - it is the powder coat (a type of paint) chipping off of the aluminum frame. You will not be able to remove the spots. For future protection on the palmrests you could get a palmrest cover. For the trackpad you're probably just going to have to live with it.

5. CyberGhostface thread starter macrumors newbie

So are the black spots a result of moisture from the palms or do they just happen with time? And thanks, I found some cheap palmrest pads on Amazon that I might get.

6. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

It's called pitting and it happened to me a long time ago with one of the first C2D MBP.

It seems as if the salts in your sweat etch through the aluminum.

Honestly, I'd recommend wiping the palm rest area with iKlear once a week. That should keep it pristine for years to come.

7. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Do you happen to use hand sanitizer a lot?

Apple’s hardware is not powder coated. It’s a bead-blasted anodized aluminium finish.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unfortunately you are incorrect. There are plenty of threads discussing this issue that make very clear who knows what anodized aluminum can and cannot do, and who doesn't. I suggest you search for these threads.