Preventing damaged disc from ejecting automatically

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vashbul, Aug 26, 2011.

1. vashbul macrumors newbie

I have a damaged DVD-R (tiny dent near the center) that I'm trying to recover data from. But the drive won't recognize it and ejects it automatically. How do I defeat this?

Also, is there a preferred software for reading damaged discs?

Thanks.

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.29f1
    Serial Number (system): W88341KSZE3
    Hardware UUID: 6051349A-DAF7-5F7B-AFA4-22F06B971583

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The drive will reject damaged discs for obvious reasons! It's much better to have a damaged disc ejected than jammed inside the drive!

3. vashbul thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but... I'm the boss here. I get to choose.

In my case, there's no chance of the disc being stuck.

There seem to be lots of applications out there that promise to recover data from damaged discs ("File Recovery for Mac" being one of many). But what good are they if the drive decides to pop out your disc before the software gets to do its thing? Eh?

Guidance, please.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

You were already given guidance. If the drive is ejecting just the one disc, it is doing so for a reason.

Incidentally, how do you know there's no chance of the disc being stuck in the drive (or worse yet, damaging it) if you haven't managed to get the drive to stop automatically ejecting it yet?

5. vashbul thread starter macrumors newbie

No I was not given guidance. Your rudeness is not appreciated.

How do I know the disc won't get stuck? Because it isn't. If I had a stuck disc, I would be asking for help about that. I have the opposite problem.

I am asking how to keep a disk in a drive that insists on ejecting it, so I can use data recovery software to save at least some of the data.

If such software exists, I assume there is a way to get my machine to cooperate, and hold on to a disc it considers unreadable.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

My rudeness is not existent. :p

If the Superdrive is automatically ejecting the disc, it's doing it for a reason. If you manage to somehow force the drive to retain a disc that it wants to eject, for whatever reason, there is every chance you may have some problems getting the disc to eject after that.

Not all damaged discs are damaged physically, as yours is. Are you absolutely certain that the "dent" in the disc is the reason the Superdrive is ejecting it?

I agree with the last poster. Get an external drive. I have a nice Firewire 800-based Logitec which I bought here in Japan and use almost exclusively rather than my iMac's Superdrive.