Preventing GPU failure on iBook G3's

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sparty411, May 2, 2019.

1. sparty411 macrumors member

sparty411

The title says it all. Is it possible to mitigate the chances of the GPU failing due to the shoddy solder job on the GPU BGA? I was considering shimming mine with a penny, but I'm not sure whether or not it will have any effect.

2. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

I've tried that, but on a few G3 iBooks over the years that had already failed. None of them lasted very long ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

3. sparty411 thread starter macrumors member

sparty411

Well, that's unfortunate. It's criminal that Apple continued selling them, knowing they had an inherent design flaw. To be fair, IBM did the same thing with their Thinkpad T4x series laptops. Scummy.

4. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

That, plus the odd bump on the underside where the coin pushes the case out ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

5. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

You either bake your motherboard or perform the Xbox towel trick on an iBook.

6. timidpimpin macrumors 6502

The only real way to stop wear on the components is to not power it on. :)

7. ScreenSavers macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

Which iBook G3's are we referring to? I have an original 2001 iBook G3 "Snow" here and it works flawlessly.

8. B S Magnet macrumors 6502

B S Magnet

It’s even more criminal how they sold the ice/white rectangle before letting the clamshell series actualize their complete potential (which it’s worth adding don’t have GPU problems the way their replacements did) — such as an entire area on all clamshell logic boards intended for at least double the onboard RAM which never got used, and so on.