Preventing hearing damage

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DaMob, Apr 14, 2010.

1. DaMob macrumors member

In afternoons I tend to work in the garden while listening to my iPod. The sound level is always so high that I can have normal conversations with people while the music is playing without the other person having to raise his/her voice, so I guess I'm okay on that.

But my main question is the fact that I've read on many websites that you should listen maximum one hour a day. Is this at a louder level or is it okay that I listen multiple hours at my level?

Thanks

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Common sense rules here. Just keep it low enough so you don't have to wonder if it is too loud.

3. DaMob thread starter macrumors member

Quick answer, thanks!

So the one hour rule is for the louder levels?

4. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I would not recommend listening to loud music for extended periods. If your ears start hurting, obviously rest them for a while.

As you say that you can hear another person talk to you while listening, I say you are very far away from damaging your hearing. You are fine:)

If you have to have your music very loud (in a bus, train etc), then consider investing in in-ear earphones: these effectively block out exterior sounds, so you can have your music much lower.

5. DaMob thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks a lot

The earbuds that came with it are fine enough.
    Personally, the lowest setting before the sound completely goes is even too loud when I'm just laying in the couch/bed...

6. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Then you definitely have no problem with your hearing :)

7. androiphone macrumors 65816

go buy any old pair of £5 earphones and you will be blown away by the quality of the music compared to the apple earphones

8. greg555 macrumors 6502a

If you can have a conversation at normal levels over your music then you are in no danger. Permissible sound levels for 8 hours a day on the job are higher than that. (In Canada, it is 85 dBA or higher in most provinces http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/exposure_can.html?print)

Greg

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Sounds like you’re OK, but the easiest way to control it is to use the volume limiting settings.

I limited the volume on my iPhone to roughly 2/3rds of the factory volume. After a few days, you don’t even notice the difference since it scales out the volume slider (therefore you have a new max volume, etc) and your ears adjust to the lower volume.

10. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Problem with that is if you don't use autolevelling, you can't hear some quiet pieces of music (like some passages in a classical piece).

11. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

The one hour is probably only for concerts, etc. If you can hear people fine with the music on then you are okay. If you do go to concerts makes sure to wear ear plugs. You can still hear find as they crank up the sound and you won't completely screw your hearing.