Preventing iPad from talking to Apple?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aoufffa, Jul 7, 2011.

1. aoufffa macrumors newbie

I know I'm wearing a tin-foil hat here, but I was wondering if there's any fix out there.

iPad is awesome except two things :

1 - It always ping apple.com to check internet connectivity. I don't really care if I'm behind a captive portal or not, but I just don't want it to ping apple every time it goes online.

2 - Once it's online, it always maintain a connection to *.push.apple.com even if everything is signed out, push notification & find my iPad feature disabled.

Now I just have to put it under airplane mode when not in use. It's kind of a hassle.

Is there any way to fix these "features" out there? I wouldn't mind jailbreaking it if that's what needed. I just don't want it to talk to the mothership unless absolutely necessary.

2. ptaylor9 macrumors member

what are you trying to hide ?!

3. aoufffa thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing. I just don't think that it has any business of being tethered to Cupertino 24/7.

4. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

They r watcing us anyway 24-7 , we have no luck to avoid it..

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Honestly, just deal with it. You have a cell phone correct? Well, that is connected to the carrier whenever possible, even though you aren't using it, and it sharing where you are all the time it's connected.

And, what do you think apple is going to do with the information that aoufffa's iPad can connect to the internet?

7. aoufffa, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

aoufffa thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I have been doing. Using Airplane mode as a toggle.

My routers now block connection to Cupertino at port 5223. That blocks push notification service. However, it still ping apple.com to verify internet connectivity every time wifi session is started.

I'm not comparing apples to apples here (no pun intended), but Windows 7 also uses the same mechanism to verify internet connectivity. As much as I hate to admit it, Microsoft got it right by allowing this mechanism to be disabled or modified to ping private server. I haven't used OS X for several years now, so I can't say whether it has this feature and if it's possible to adjust it in the same manner.

8. aoufffa thread starter macrumors newbie

Cell phones are designed to be tethered to the network 24/7. iPad 24/7 connectivity to Cupertino is for MobileMe and push notifications. However, with said feature turned off why would it still need to be tethered to the mothership constantly?

You and I may see things differently. If you want to accept the fact that there's always a ghost connection to Cupertino, good for you, I won't argue with that.

My question is whether there's a way to completely disable this "feature".

9. ronaldmcdonald macrumors member

Can you further explain this? Would like to do it as well.

10. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Paranoia is just commen sense when Apple is out to get you!

11. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

it's there

it's there for A reason of National Security I cannot disclose..

12. aoufffa thread starter macrumors newbie

Depending on make/model of your router, you should be able to configure it to block outgoing connection to any server on port 5223. Check the manual.

If you regularly use push notification, mobile me, etc, I believe that those services won't work after you do that. From my tests, App store works fine.

well played, sir. well played. :D