Preventing my 2010 MBP 13'' from sleeping when closing the lid.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anshi, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Anshi macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased the 2010 13'' MBP after using windows for about 10 years.

I love the MacWorld and i don't think i'll ever go back to windows again.

But, there are a few issues i am facing.

One of them is that i want to prevent the MBP from sleeping when i close the lid. I use my Plasma TV to watch movies and while doing so, i have to keep te lid open.

If there's no option in Mac OS X, then i would be happy if you could suggest a free software.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers!!

2. celticpride678

You could disable sleep altogether in the Energy Saver preferences. Or you can download InsomniaX for temporarily disabling sleep.

3. Baral macrumors member

If you have a Bluetooth mouse and/or keyboard, you can hook the laptop up to the plasma, close the lid, let it sleep, and then move the mouse/type on the keyboard to wake it up and the display will be on the plasma.

Just an alternative to using a program or disabling sleep.

4. Anshi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...

Thanks for your help celticpride678 and Baral.

I have a wireless keyboard n magic mouse and now i can do my work and watch movies with the lid closed.

Thanks a million. This is because small small problems in life irritate a lot and you just solved one of them.

Thanks again.

5. BudgetBaby macrumors member

I've always understood that forcing the MBP to work whilst closed causes it to overheat (cos the vent runs along the hinge which is obstructed when the lid is closed).

6. SA22C macrumors regular

There is also an awesome little app called 'Insomnia' which will prevent a Mac from sleeping when the lid is closed. I use it often when leaving my machine on overnight to complete a download or for time machine backups. Used in conjunction with SMCFanControl to keep the temperatures down, of course.