Preventing the Crackbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glueeater, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Glueeater macrumors regular

So I just got my macbook back from repairs for the edges cracking. It feels like they replaced it with a different material than before. Is this normal? Was there a revision or something? Anyway, I want to know is their any sure-fire way to ensure that the edges do not crack again? Applecare has like 5 more months on this machine, so I need to figure out whether or not its smart to extend.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

No sure-fire way; it's just poor design. I'd use it for the remaining 5 months, take it in if it cracks again in that period, and sell it once the AC runs out.

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

The topcase is a new revision. You shouldn't have any more problems with cracking. I would extend it. You never know what may happen....and even when reselling, apple care brings up the asking price.

4. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

The only way I know of to reduce the possibility of cracking is to distribute the pressure on the casing more evenly. You could try Wild Eepz from Radtech:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx

My solution is simple, but kinda tacky. I made "pads" out of about 4 layers of Scotch tape to help reduce the impact of the magnets.(I'm cheap. :p) It seems to be working, but as I said, it's tacky, and I have to replace the tape periodically.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You tell this story and then you wonder if it is smart to extend Apple Care?

Your harrowing story aside, it's a portable so unless you are going to sell it, get Apple Care. Best money you ever spent.

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I agree with netdoggie, my MBP is 7-8 months old and I have already had to replace my power brick and made several calls to tech support. Look on eBay for cheaper AppleCare.

7. Glueeater thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice about applecare. I will probably purchase it. Can anyone else confirm that cracking should be a nonissue if care is taken now?

8. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I had mine replaced a few months ago and all seems well-- new design is much better

9. Phish311 macrumors regular

whats the deal with the new design? can someone explain the difference to me please. Thanks

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Oh, I thought this was a thread about how NOT to become addicted to your MacBook - sort of like a "Crackberry"... :D

11. Glueeater thread starter macrumors regular

the polymer to me seems very different in feeling...i'm thinking thats the main difference.

12. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Looks like I was wrong. I removed the tacky tape "pads" and, sure enough, I have a new crack on the right-hand side. :mad:

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Bummer...but like I said, it's a design flaw. Only Apple can fix it.

14. MrTattoo macrumors newbie

Macbook cracking.

The edge of the replacement top on my white macbook has just cracked in the same place as the original top that was factory fitted. The replacement was fitted last summer , would the work that was carried out be guaranteed?
    My guarantee has ended on the Macbook,however i am hoping that the replacement top should have a guarantee for the quality and work carried out.
    I think it's such a pity that Apple have obviously inherited a design fault with the much loved Macbook as it's such a great machine but this seems to be a plague of a problem. My Macbook is like new as i look after it so well and never take it out of my home,so it's not an abused in any way,yet i have encountered this problem for the second time.
    I do hope that there will be a design up-grade soon,i really don't want to encounter the problems that i have already had with the Macbook.

15. PDE macrumors 68020

My recommendation is that you get a MOSHI palmguard to put on it. It is a relatively hard material that distributes the impact of the top case evenly. as probably most people who have these, the quality is second to none and they look great compared to other similar products. I think this will stop the cracks .

If you bought it with a VISA credit card, you may want to see if you can get their extended warranty. Since this is a chronic problem that is due to a design flaw, you will eventually get a new computer through visa under their no lemon policy. After three repairs, they replace the computer. VISA automatically doubles your Apple warranty for free and then you can extend that coverage for another three years for something like $150-$200. Highly recommended and it will ensure that you don't get screwed with your poorly designed macbook!

16. SSerino macrumors member

You can't extend Applecare past the first 3 years it offers.