Preventing the watchface to lit up?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MacLilja, Jul 4, 2015.

1. MacLilja macrumors regular

is there a way to prevent the watchface to lit up at all? Like if you're at the movies and eating popcorn with the hand you have the watch on it's going to light up with each popcorn.

I haven't found a way to do this but it seems strange if Apple didn't think of it.

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Turn off wrist activate?

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Seriously, you are worried about eating popcorn???

5. Donstil-nl macrumors 6502

Donstil-nl

Problems of the first world.

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I just started another thread about the battery life drain for this function. It's called raise wrist. You can turn it off in the Watch app on your iPhone. The downside is that you have to tap your watchface to get it to light up.

7. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Does turning Off "Wrist Detection" prevent that (Go to Watch App, General, Wrist Detection)? By disabling it are you making your watch less secure? Not sure from the language displayed. If so they should add a "Turn Off" selection under "Activate Under Wrist Raise". Any Developers out there that can suggest that in your feedback?

8. !!! macrumors 6502

!!!

No on your watch go to setting and then general. It will have an option to remove the raise to wake but not the wrist detection.

9. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

It works! Thanks. They did think about that! One of the reasons I like coming here since getting the watch. Learn something new all the time.

10. MacLilja thread starter macrumors regular

It was just an example to illustrate what I wanted to ask. I don't want to bother people at the Cinema by having the Watch go on and of if I move my hand.

11. MacLilja thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that works. Thanks! Now they need to create a shortcut for that :)

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Where did it say he was worried about eating popcorn?

Reading for comprehension: F-

13. noobinator macrumors 601

Wear a shirt or jacket that covers it
    Turn it off
    Take it off
    Turn off the wake option

14. MacLilja thread starter macrumors regular

The Three first are sheeting but the last one is actually good advice. :)

15. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

....Although if you need to check the time, the face will light up then. For that purpose you might want to set up a Theater face on your watch, customizing Modular face with just the time showing, and then setting the color to red which gives off little light but is still visible to you (think alarm clocks).

IMG_2656.PNG

There are other times I will take advantage of turning off the wrist raise option on the watch though.

16. MacLilja thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. I wish there were a shortcut for turning that of. Like when you put your phone on silent mode.

17. gottafly macrumors regular

Yeah...went out for a paddle (flatwater kayak) last night for the first time since getting the watch. didn't think to turn off wrist raise option, and after 1 1/2 hr. paddle, I went from around 70% battery to 8%. Ouch!

Also discovered that the watch doesn't like wet hands as the screen was non-responsive to my wet hands. Had to dry them constantly just to skip a song on the BT headphone. Not as friendly as I was hoping...but still really enjoying it.