Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StudyFlo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Hey guys!
Have a little problem with my preview.app - when I want to open an Image, it shows me just a green screen ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2anyd6s99f52bu/Screenshot 2015-09-02 01.46.42.png

Has anyone the same issue and is aware of a work-around or something? Restart did not help.

It's a JPG-picture, shot by a Canon 550D, 16MP, around 4,5MB in size. I've no idea what's wrong there.
(I'm aware, this is a beta and it might just be an issue that will get fixed - but maybe someone knows a quick solution / work-around etc.)

thanks!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Haven't heard about this from any other users. Preview works for me!

Lou

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Could you upload the picture somewhere so that we can check if it works for us? Also, why don't you submit it as a bug to apple?

StudyFlo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Could you upload the picture somewhere so that we can check if it works for us? Also, why don't you submit it as a bug to apple?
I already submitted this to Apple, I just hoped for a quick solution from some guys over here. :)

The issue seems to affect not every picture, only JPEGs, (PNG work fine), 8MP-iPhone Pictures have no issues, just bigger images, like those 16MP SLR-Pictures ...

StudyFlo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Does Quick Look work? How about different images?
Quicklook shows the same issue ... some images work well, PNGs for example, others like bigger JPEGs don't show.

If I change the settings from "1 image pixel equals 1 screen pixel" to "size on screen equals size on printout", Preview now shows every picture in the beginning and just shows the green screen after zooming in and out those pictures.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i had problems with preview, but seems fixed since beta 5. crashed when trying to edit pdfs (ie deleting a page, etc). in fact, preview crashed when i was looking at the manual for my (kitchen) blender...and now, for some horrible reason, when i import music into itunes with no image...the cover for the manual blender is now the default 'no image' image! ugh...:(
(altho sort-of funny)...

itunes.png

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Jup, so this can't be the final GM - there must be at least one more, hopefully soon!

Hah, don't be too sure! That's what I thought with the Yosemite 10.10 Reduced Transparency glitch, and it remained through 10.10.2 or 3.

But yes, there should be more...Yosemite had three GM candidates. I hope so, because Mail is unusable with Gmail for me at the moment...always crashes.

n3acal

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Switzerland
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. The problem does not exist in Safe Boot. But Apple Support couldn't help me. I'm trying to reinstall the GM right now. Maybe that will help.

n3acal

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Switzerland
@StudyFlo: Bei mir sind die Bilder zwar nicht immer grün, aber sie verschwinden manchmal einfach. Keine Ahnung, woran das liegt. Ist nicht weiter schlimm, da es die Produktivität nicht eeeeextrem stört. Aber trotzdem mühsam. Hoffentlich fixen die das noch! :p

StudyFlo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
@StudyFlo: Bei mir sind die Bilder zwar nicht immer grün, aber sie verschwinden manchmal einfach. Keine Ahnung, woran das liegt. Ist nicht weiter schlimm, da es die Produktivität nicht eeeeextrem stört. Aber trotzdem mühsam. Hoffentlich fixen die das noch! :p
Verschwinden die Bilder in der Preview.App? Mich stört's schon, da ich letztens mal Bilder meines Urlaubs aussortieren wollte, aber beim zoomen immer nur grün sehe.

n3acal

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Switzerland
Verschwinden die Bilder in der Preview.App? Mich stört's schon, da ich letztens mal Bilder meines Urlaubs aussortieren wollte, aber beim zoomen immer nur grün sehe.

Ja, ich denke, wir haben beide genau das gleiche Problem. Wenn ich die Bilder öffne, dann erscheinen sie ganz kurz, verschwinden dann aber gleich wieder und ich sehe nur die graue Hintergrundfarbe von Preview.app. Aber bei einem anderen Bild hatte ich dasselbe Problem wie du; ich sah nur grün.

Ich lade mir gerade die 6.06 GB aus dem App Store noch einmal runter und versuche, ob ich das Ganze noch einmal neu installieren kann. Vielleicht klappt das ja?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Hmm, I never tried to open a JPEG with Preview, I use Photoshop. But, I just tried, and Preview worked just fine opening a JPEG file on my cMP.

Lou

ThatAutGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2015
Maybe it's a 13inch rMBP specific problem? Because all of us have the problem on their 13inch rMBP.

Same issue here with a rMBP 13 inch. Here's the weird thing: if I go and resize the JPEG within preview, it then displays the image correctly - even if I "resize" to 100% of the original size. Like everyone else, only happens with large JPGs - no issues with any other files, and no issues rendering the files in any other App or even Quicklook.

n3acal

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Switzerland
Same issue here with a rMBP 13 inch. Here's the weird thing: if I go and resize the JPEG within preview, it then displays the image correctly - even if I "resize" to 100% of the original size. Like everyone else, only happens with large JPGs - no issues with any other files, and no issues rendering the files in any other App or even Quicklook.

How do you mean resize it and then resize it back to 100%? Tools > Adjust Size? My image is 5097px x 3398px. If I resize it to, say, 1620px x 1080px, then save, the image displays correctly. But when I resize it back to the original dimensions, I can't open the image anymore.

But here as well: No problems with other apps or quicklook.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I'm glad you mention this because the performance of Preview and QuickLook are not just slowish in Yosemite but also El Capitan GM1. In the video below I tested a very large image file to see how El Cap performs compared to Windows 10.

Windows could open the 2.8GB TIF file immediately and render it within 4 seconds.

El Cap took over 22 seconds to display the image in QuickLook and also in Preview.

----link removed----

I had to remove the link because Dropbox said I was using excessive traffic.

Last edited:

ThatAutGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2015
How do you mean resize it and then resize it back to 100%? Tools > Adjust Size? My image is 5097px x 3398px. If I resize it to, say, 1620px x 1080px, then save, the image displays correctly. But when I resize it back to the original dimensions, I can't open the image anymore.

But here as well: No problems with other apps or quicklook.

The resizing thing is weird and simple: go to tools --> adjust size --> leave everything as it is & hit ok; now the picture will show up. (at least it does for me)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.