Preview - Bundle PDFs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FatMax, Mar 7, 2015.

1. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

I'm having a issue in newer versions of Yosemite that's driving me crazy!
    In earlier versions of OS X I would be able to open a pdf, switch to miniature view and then drag and drop pdf files into that view to expand the original PDF with additional documents.
    Why isn't this working anymore? It consequently just saves the last page that was selected after I do this, leaving me with an even smaller PDF than I started with.
    Any workarounds?

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

If you click View -> Thumbnails you can drag more PDFs into the sidebar that appears.

Or click Option-Comand-2

3. FatMax thread starter macrumors 6502

FatMax

I know - Thats what I used to do. Whenever I do it in Yosemite however, no files dragged in gets saved with the original PDF

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You still can do it, I found it a bit clunky. Adobe Acrobat has a much more efficient tool to merge PDFs. I'm sad to see how much that will cost per month.

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

OP, you may not be adding ("Combining", as it's called in Preview) in the files by dragging them to the "correct" place. Honestly, I had to figure it out after reading Apple's clunky instructions, and Apple did change how this works in Yosemite's Preview app.

As indicated in this thread, open the destination file's Sidebar. Where you drag your files/images to be added to your destination files is the key.

To combine multiple files to your single-page destination PDF file (the one with the Sidebar open) has one page, drag the items to be added on top of that one page, and you'll be left with a single PDF file with multiple pages.

If you drag the items below the one page in the Sidebar you'll be left with what is essentially a PDF "binder" file - your destination file plus a reference to the other PDF files - and you'll see a light-colored divider to illustrate the division between the different files.

If your destination Preview file has multiple pages, you'll see that light-colored divider in the Sidebar. Drag your added files above the divider and they'll be added to your destination Preview file - drag them below the light-colored divider in the Sidebar and you'll be left with a "binder".

Think of a "binder" as containing one file and symbolic links to the Preview files shown below the light-colored divider in the Sidebar.

6. FatMax thread starter macrumors 6502

FatMax

Wow, how incredible cumbersome an not logical at all!

But thank you a million times for explaining!! Will try this out in the morning!

7. campyguy macrumors 68030

Yes, yes it is. And, as us Norwegian-Americans say - Uff da! - for so many reasons about this app...