preview for pdf files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by okrelayer, Sep 4, 2008.

1. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

I have always had all sorts of trouble opening .pdf files within safari. It always pops up asking for an adobe reader. Must i use adobe reader? I thought a pdf file is a pdf file

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. I hate Adobe PDF Reader and I've been fine seeing all the PDFs I want to with Apple's inbuilt reader. Do you have any Adobe products that may have half-arsedly installed the plugin into your computer?

3. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

not once! However i just installed adobe reader, but defaulted preview to open all pdfs, and now it seems to open in preview with no issue...

odd.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That is bizarre. Was it all PDFs, or just a select few?

5. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

it seemed it was all of the ones that wanted to open within safari. The ones that were downloaded opened usually without an issue

-but lets hope that this work around (download adobe reader/ default preview continues to work!)

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You could try uninstalling Reader, it sounds like a pref files was messed up somewhere.

7. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Solution?

http://www.theronge.com/2006/02/02/how-to-remove-adobe-pdf-view-from-safari/

Somehow I managed to install Adobe’s PDF Viewer as a web plugin. Now Safari no longer uses it’s built-in PDF viewer which is significantly faster that Adobe’s plugin. If you run into a similar situation here is how to remove the plugin: Delete the file AdobePDFViewer.plugin from the folder /Library/Internet Plug-ins

8. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok so i deleted adobe from my HD.

and this is the message i typically get from safari when trying to open a pdf

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/1858/picture2ur5.png.

I am pretty sure before when i "fixed it" it was adobe opening the files within safari. Honestly i had no idea just because.. IV NEVER SEEN PREVIEW WORK WITHIN SAFARI lmao.

any other ideas? I have nothing inside of my web plug ins

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you create a new user account, does it work there?

10. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok you guys are going to KILL ME!

I just did a finder search for adobe after i 'trashed' it. and i came up with that adobereader.app.plugin file or whatever! Im not sure which folder it was in.. but it was NOT in the internet plugins! Eitherway i deleted it, and now everything opens in preview!

thank you guys for all of your help. Good to get adobe out of my life forever!

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The other (simpler) method is to open Adobe Reader and in Preferences/Internet, uncheck "Display PDF in browser using:"

Then you can keep Reader around for the occasions where you might want to use it.

12. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Yesterday I started getting this problem. Previously Safari displayed PDFs without any problem.

My first thing to try was the above suggestion in the Adobe preferences but unchecking that doesn't help at all. I can't find any Adobe plugins to dump. Safari in another account on the same machine does display PDFs just fine so something's messed up in my main account.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Bit of a bother - I would rather not have to start trashing prefs but it looks like that is the next step. The latest install was Apple's Software Update doing its thing yesterday morning and I believe it was new Java software.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hm. Do you have OnyX? The only other thing I can think to suggest is to use OnyX to look at your Safari settings. Under Parameters/Safari is the check box for "Automatically open pdf files is Safari." I unchecked that selection and PDFs now open in Preview.

Also, in my experience, the first thing to try whenever this problem crops up is to empty the Safari cache.

14. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Interestingly, I did a restart and now it works fine.