Preview Hangs on OX X 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TMK044, Oct 28, 2010.

1. TMK044 macrumors newbie

Sep 2, 2010

I have OS 10.5.8 on my Intel iMac. The problem started out every time I attempted to open a particular picture (JPEG file) in Preview, the application hangs. The file would open, display, and then I'd get the rainbow cursor. The same thing happened when I tried to open up a 2-page PDF file. The first page displayed, but the application hung for about 1-2 minutes before I could display the second page.

Some things that might be relevant:

• I used the Disk Utility to Verify the disk. No problems were found.
    • I also used the Disk Utility to Verify Permissions. It found some issues, and I chose to Repair Disk Permissions. Upon completion, I rebooted and the problem persists.
    • Force Quitting the application takes a few seconds for the window to disappear and takes nearly 30 sec. for the Preview entry to disappear from the list in the Force Quit window.
    • I don't get the problem if I open up a Browser window, print the page, and choose the PDF | Open PDF in Preview option.

To further troubleshoot, I tested opening some other picture files. They opened successfully, and I could navigate through them. As a further test, I opened up the original picture file that caused the problem in Photoshop and saved it under a new name. When I opened the new file in Preview, it did not cause any hangup leading me to conclude that perhaps the original file was corrupt. Neither did the 2-page PDF.

As a final test, I opened up the original file that caused the problem in the first place. Surprisingly, this time Preview did not hang.

While the problem appears to be resolved, I'm a bit concerned because this has never happened before. Also the machine had not been in use for almost two weeks. This is my main production machine. Do I need to be concerned? I appreciate any feedback.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

May 22, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sure sounds like it is related to that particular file. Keep the new one and Trash the old one.