Preview - Image sizing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

I set the Preview to show me 'actual size' when pics open, I've now got a folder of images I need to look through at 'zoom to fit' or 'automatically resize' because there are a lot of them as opposed to a few.

I've tried selecting all and changing to 'zoom to fit' etc, but it will not do it, It only changes it for the one that's open. I have to change to 'zoom to fit' for every single one of the 101 images. Why won't it stay on the setting so I can view all without having to change the size each picture.

Dare I say, without getting lynched, This is the ONLY thing I miss about Windows, viewing pictures was so much less hassle and easier to view in folders and in the viewer. You clicked on a pic and you whizzed through the folder of images.

I've never got on with Preview. You have to 'select all' the folder to open them in Preview instead of just being able to click next and go through the folder with ease. But now the sizing thing is winding me up as well. Why won't it stay on setting for all pics instead of each one?

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried Quick Look yet?
    QuickLook is the way to preview files without opening the associated application by just selecting the file(s) in Finder and pressing the SPACEBAR.
    Make the Most of Quick Look

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

No mate, not yet. Does that get round the problem?

Why can't I scroll through them at fit to window size instead of having to reduce every single one in Preview. I've tried by selecting all and fit to window and tried when one open and nothing works

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Try going to the Preview menu, to Preferences..., Images tab, click radio button for Scale large images to fit window.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Nice one, thanks for that. Yes it does do it, once you've highlighted the whole folder and opened with Preview.

Thanks again, now if you can tell me why my MacMail always stops working for no reason, then we'll be happy. :cool:

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Is it going offline or something else?

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, and waiting for incoming and outgoing mail to leave sometimes takes ages. Some stay in the Outbox so long I forget they haven't been sent until ages later. That icon will sometimes appear with the squiggle next to the 'inbox' or 'drafts' to flag a problem. The password pop up box comes up several times a day. It's the poorest part of my Mac, for no other reason than it pitches up with one of the above every day, sometimes several times. The iPhone is more reliable for my business emails than the MBP, and that's the only clue I have that it's not the broadband connection causing it, because the phone will grab the mails.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time with Mail. I don't have an iPhone (or a cell phone for that matter) so I don't have any experience there, but it made me wonder if both the iPhone and the Mac were using the same servers and settings? I've not had a problem with my password being asked for but have had similar problems to those you described. I've got AT&T DSL (email is AT&T branded Yahoo Mail) and I believe that they're actually the cause of my problems. I've had more problems with my email since switching to AT&T than I've had in the past with the all the combined internet providers. I used to use Eudora for my email client and with the slow/non-responsive AT&T servers it would crash. Once I got my MacBook Pro I began migrating my email to Mail and although it also has difficulties with AT&T it only takes the accounts offline rather than crashing like Eudora did. Wish I could provide something more helpful.

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for that, It's interesting you get similar problems even though our providers are different. I don't think it's a providers problem with this MBP because it's a new one for me that the mails sit in Outbox so regularly.

Windows was rubbish, but it was a much rarer occurrence. Thanks again for your help.

One other thing, going back on topic to Image viewing and folders.

When you removed or added folders in Windows, they snapped into a position grid like. I know you can 'clean up' and 'arrange by' in the folders but that changes order again, and when you take out you have gaps instead of snapping back, and when you place something in a folder, it sits on top of other folder icons, Is there a way to put folders/files in folders and they grid themselves out, rather than just sit on top of other folders and files, without having to 'clean up' or 'arrange by'?

Just wondered....

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I have very little Windows experience and always come away feeling frustrated. :confused:

I'm assuming that you're referring to Icon View. I'm using Snow Leopard so if you're using Lion this might be different.

With a folder open go to View in the menu bar and select Show View Options, from the Arrange by pop-down choose Snap to Grid, if you'd like to use that for all your folders click the Use as Defaults button at the bottom.

For the Desktop itself (no folders open) go to View in the menu bar and select Show View Options, from the Arrange by pop-down choose Snap to Grid.

Hope this helps.

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Windows is something that's forced on most of us, Around 15 years ago to be precise, as most offices in London knew no better. I wish I'd have gone Mac a lot sooner but alas it's only been since early 2011 with the MBP and the iphone before that. I think, myself like most turned on to Apple because of the phones.

Thanks for that, big help. It's not as obvious as you think it should be because I'm looking for those settings in the 'Action' drop down 'arrange by' on the open folders, but never thought to look at menu bar up top. Snap to grid leaves the gaps when you remove and then I'm guessing you have to do the 'arrange by' to close them.

Thanks again for your help.

Really, no mobile/cell phone? How do you cope?!!

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I hardly ever use Icon View as I prefer Column View, so I fiddled around with it a bit here. Seems to be that the view options are mutually exclusive, but by setting it to arrange by Name (instead of grid) it kept things aligned and in order when adding or removing files, I imagine it works with the other options as well.

As far as phones go (cell or landlines) my wife and I aren't really phone people. Our landline hardly ever gets used as it is. I'll admit that some of the smartphone features sound nice but considering what they cost and that fact that we don't really need them means our money can be better spent elsewhere.

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks DewGuy, It's a big help

With regards to iphones, I can definitely recommend, especially as I was lumbered with an HTC on Android for 18 months prior to switching, and that was a nightmare. Avoid!