Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DP812

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
Up until now, I've had absolutely no problem using Preview to open PDF files. But then all of a sudden today, no file will open with Preview. I downloaded a PDF and tried to open it, but nothing happened. I thought maybe there was something wrong with that file or maybe it didn't download correctly, so then I tried to open another PDF that had previously worked with Preview.

In both cases, Preview started, but then nothing happened. With Preview as the main application, I brought my cursor up to the menu bar, and got the spinning beach ball of death. Right-clicking on the icon in the dock showed "Application Not Responding" and so I forced quit and tried again. Same thing each time. I tried deleting the preferences, but this didn't help, either.

I tried to include the Apple report, but MacRumors won't let me post it because it's over the character count.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can post the log at Pastebin then put the link to it here if you want.

This is odd though. Can you think of any utilities or anything you installed recently that may have caused a conflict.

Can you open just the Preview app by itself from the /Applications folder with no PDF associated?

DP812

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
Nope, haven't installed anything new. Although I just tried again and now it works. Really bizarre. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.