preview, mathtype...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bahman, Dec 7, 2007.

1. bahman macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just install Leopard, and I was wondering if you are also experiencing the same problem I have. Preview dose not show formulas in a pdf documents properly. The same problem with formulas in Word using mathtype. Is there any easy way to get ride of this problem or we have to wait for new upgrade of the application!?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You could use LaTeX, those formulae display fine!

3. bahman thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is when you download a pdf or doc file including formulas then formulas do not appear properly there.

4. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

That's odd. As I understand, a PDF document is a self-contained, so you should have no problems viewing any mathematical formula included. Word documents with MathType objects are a bit more tricky -- sometimes you can view (but not edit) the objects, even though you don't have MT installed. Other times, you'll see a mess of symbols or an empty rectangle. I guess the same goes for them under Preview.

By the way, the MT situation for the Mac is really dismal -- it hasn't been updated since version 5.1 (the windows version is 6).

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yet another reason to use LaTeX for your equations, there is also an installation guide [guide]Install LaTeX on a Mac[/guide]

6. bahman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes man, my favorite word processor is latex in fact, but my problem is not to use Word or latex and instead how to properly view a doc or pdf file.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sorry if I was being a bit obsessed about LaTeX. I didn't get much sleep last night as I was up until 5am finishing off some work that was due today.

Anyhow can you post some screenshots of the problem.

8. bahman thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is an example:

Attached Files:

9. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

That is strange. Im using 10.5.1 and dont have any problem with all kinds of math as long as its in Pdf. Maybe your file is corrupted?? Try to open in adobe instead of Preview, and let us know if its still like that

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Ah, your fonts are garbled. I've seen this before. Try following these instructions (sorry I was sent them as an Image):

Image 1.png

11. bahman thread starter macrumors newbie