Preview messing up images

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pasha72, Nov 6, 2013.

1. pasha72 macrumors newbie

For a little while now, I've noticed that images aren't showing properly in preview, both in the actual "Preview" app and also the preview window in Finder.

Recently I upgraded to Mavericks, but the problem didn't go away. The weird thing is that images show up fine in Chrome, Safari, Gimp, etc. It seems to be directly connected to the Preview rendering algorithm (at least, that's my guess). I'll attach a sample image, with screenshots from Preview and Chrome. And also a screenshot of the notifications area, there's some funky background thing going on there too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Some system info
    (please let me know if there's any other section I should include)

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0E
    SMC Version (system): 1.62f7

NVIDIA GeForce 320M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x08a0
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3533
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    SyncMaster:
    Resolution: 1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Display Serial Number: HLJZ201030
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Adapter Type: Apple Mini DisplayPort To VGA Adapter
    Adapter Firmware Version: 1.03

Attached Files:

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

That is pretty bad but...

Preview does one thing and does it well. It shows me what stuff looks like without having to go launch some huge app like Photoshop, iPhoto or Pixelmator. I never use a screen shot of what Preview is showing in a way where I would care if something looks slightly "distorted". When I look at your pictures, I see that Preview has introduced some cyan-colored "noise" across the sky. It would bother me if this happened on my Mac but I would quickly forgive Preview because Preview is so darned fast. While I've never noticed this problem on any of my Macs, I probably wouldn't let it bother me. As long as I can recognize the image or pdf file or whatever it's good enough for me as long as the preview is near-instantaneous.

3. pasha72 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand what you say, but the thing is, this messing up images is new. Preview never used to do this. And this issue started before I upgraded to Mavericks, so that's not the source.

4. pasha72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone else offer some help? This issue is really causing me worry, I'm afraid the system is starting to get messed up and the problem will only get worse.

5. Jonpollak macrumors newbie

6. pasha72 thread starter macrumors newbie

XEE does work, and I think I'll probably buy it. But it doesn't solve my problem. As I said, one worry is that the issue will spread. And it really is bothersome that the image preview in finder is so messed up.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Is this happening with all image files, or certain ones? Is there there something in common with the image files Preview has problems with? For example they all came from the same camera or the same website or you've edited them with the same program?

Are they all the same file type or different types... i.e. JPGs and TIFFs etc etc

The first thing that needs to be determined is whether it is in fact Preview that is broken or image files themselves. Solving a problem like this is not so much trying to find the specific problem... it is about eliminating every other possibility.

Another thing to try is to set up a different user account and see the problem also exists there.

Also, if you have added any little OS enhancers... anything that makes the OS not a standard Apple installation, then you have eliminate those as possible culprits. The only sure way is to do a clean install... but perhaps that can wait until other easier things have been tried.

Have you been changing preferences through the command line? Any preferences? If so, try to remember which ones and reverse those.

Good Luck, eh?

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well I think something is messed up hardware or software interfacing with video card. My 2008 Mac Pro with and ATI 5770 video card and in 10.9.0 Preview doesn't do that. Have you tried to look at pictures in Preview in other test accounts? I think way you can either determine if its hardware or software.

9. pasha72 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just tried setting up a new test account, and the same problem occurs there. To answer a previous question, it occurs across all types of images that I have (jpg, png, tiff).

As you can see from my specs, I have an external monitor, running off an Apple Mini DisplayPort To VGA Adapter. But the problem also is there when using the MacBook screen alone.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm thinking it's hardware as the most likely culprit.

A bit more work... but .... you could try creating a bootable external HDD copy of your system disk, and then use that ext HDD to boot someone else's system. If the problem follows the ext HDD, then it's very likely SW. Conversely if you can boot your system using a bootable ext HDD copy of someone else's system you can then use their SW to see if your system still has the problem.

I would also post this in the Apple support forums. As much as I like the MR family atmosphere ... the Apple support forums is where I go for really thorny technical support. Less social, but more focussed support there.

11. Claybob86 macrumors newbie

Hi Pasha, any update on this? I've noticed when previewing photos in Finder, the photos has an extreme green hue, even occurs when I open the photo in the Preview program. But as soon as I open the photo into CS5, the photo appears as it should.

One thing I have noticed... Raw files preview incorrectly, however, edited pictures saved as .jpg appear correct in Finder preview. Error did not begin until I updated to Mavericks.

Example of Finder preview
    [​IMG]

Exampled of exact same photo opened into CS5
    [​IMG]

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Agreed Xee is great, I never liked using Finder for browsing photos.

OP can you post a link to a photo you're having trouble with?

13. paulCC macrumors member

Same problem with my 2011 Early 15...

I have the same issue on my Macbook. For me it is the Olympus ORF files that do not work. Seems like a Mavericks bug, as this worked fine before the update.

Paul.