"Preview" opening dialogue screen ??

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Wilbah, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Wilbah macrumors member

Hey folks...

Since updating to 10.8 upon opening the Preview application, I now get a opening screen that offers me "icloud" or "on this mac"... and its really annoying!

I use preview alot for screen grabs from Final Cut - I use the "take screen shot from selection" option, and now I have to first click through this dialogue box twice to get it to close! No biggie- but its annoying if I'm doing several.

Also, in all prior OS versions, if I saved a Preview file once in one particular place, (i.e. "save as" to desktop) it would automatically default to that location again for subsequent files, until you quit the app; 10.8 automatically defaults to save the file to "iCloud"- which again forces me to add several steps to get the file to save to the desktop.

In short- a simple screen grab that I want to save as a jpg, now forces me to add like 6 steps to the process and its starting to drive me nuts!

Anyone else notice this? I looked in the "Preferences" in the Preview app, but dont see anything. Most times in other instances with an opening option screen you get a "don't show me this screen again" window to click.... not here.

Help! Its driving me nuts!!

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Geez, you don't appreciate how Mountain Lion made your Mac easier to use :rolleyes: ?

You could turn off the "Documents" checkbox in the iCloud pref pane in System Preferences; that might stop it. But make sure you don't have copies up there you'd lose.

Or try a different screen grabber.

3. sazivad macrumors 6502

OP, do you use iCloud Documents & Data at all? Because if you don't, you can go to :apple: > System Preferences… > iCloud and uncheck this checkbox.

4. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Except that would also disable iCloud for TextEdit, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote if he used them.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Even though I don't find it as annoying as I thought I still think "Open iCloud" and "Save to iCloud" on the file menu would be better than this dialog box.

6. dadama macrumors newbie

If find this annoying enough that I have switched from Preview to PDF Nomad as the default pdf viewer and to Graphic Converter to view jpg's. I would gladly switch back to preview if the dialogue box stopped opening whenever the program was launched.