Preview Opens Finder Windows Upon Start

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by machappyboy, Mar 22, 2017.

1. machappyboy macrumors member

Whenever I start Preview, it opens a Finder Window. Annoying. My other Sierra machines don't do this. Any idea how to shut this off?

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Sure that's a Finder window and not just the Preview file picker? Does it say Finder in the menu bar when you open Preview and the "Finder window" has focus?

3. machappyboy thread starter macrumors member

You're right it's the the Preview file picker. Why is it up popping up when I laucnh Preview? It doesn't happen on my other machines.

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

What do you get on them instead? Nothing or the last windows you had open?

5. machappyboy thread starter macrumors member

On my other machines nothing opens when I launch Preview. Just the app opens with nothing else. How about you?

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

File picker unless I've had a window open when I closed it, in which case said window is reopened, per my settings in System Preferences. Try enabling reopening windows when launching apps - might have something to do with it, though I don't know. There's no obvious setting for this that I can find

7. machappyboy thread starter macrumors member

Interesting! Well, now that I know you're getting the prompt too I won't worry about it. Thanks for the help!

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

It's all expected behaviour. It's so you can pick what file you want Preview to open. When you pick something it goes away on its own