Preview opens several pics instead of just one?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Norkusa, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Norkusa macrumors member

Norkusa

Just upgraded to Lion last month and I'm having this problem with Preview. Most of the time when I open a picture on my desktop with Preview, it will not only open the selected pic, but 2-3 other recently viewed pics as well. They can be in the trash, the desktop, or inside a folder but preview will open them anyway when I haven't selected them.

I assume I have some kind of feature or option enabled in Lion that's doing this but I can't figure out what it is. Anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it? It's very annoying.

2. Joos24 macrumors regular

That's because you're just quitting the Preview application rather than closing all the pics first. That's Lions new feature to protect your work from getting accidentally lost if you quit the whole app, have to restart or your computer crashes. Upon re-opening Preview all your work is restored. If you don't wish to have to close every pic you open to prevent them from re-opening then go into System Preferences-General and uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps".
    Just know that this affects every app on your system that's optimized for this feature and if a time comes where you have a system issue causing a restart you will lose your unsaved work.

Attached Files:

3. Norkusa thread starter macrumors member

Norkusa

Ahh, I understand now. I realized TextEdit was like this but I didn't realize it was the same with all apps. Thanks for the explanation. :)

4. Buduls macrumors newbie

You can disable this functionality on program by program basis. I find this functionality annoying with Preview, so I did disabled it by running this command in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Preview NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -int 0