Preview quits when editing photos in it! WTF?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MattBook, Dec 10, 2007.

1. MattBook macrumors newbie

Oct 16, 2007
    Surrey, UK
    hey everyone :) just after some help/suggestions..

every time I try to edit/adjust a photo in preview using Tools > Adjust Color (I have Leopard) it works fine but then when I try to save it it just quits ("the application Preview quit unexpectedly").

anyone else getting this?! its so annoying! I just want to adjust the contrast of an image or something and it won't let me! :mad::confused:
  2. thelastrolo macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2007
    I have exactly the same problem and no idea whats causing it..

would really appreciate some solution :)
  3. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2007
    I can confirm this.

In Leopard, Preview tends to quit unexpectedly after I edit a photo and try to work with it.

The same thing happens on my four year old iMac G5 and my brand new Macbook with Leopard 10.5.1. I hope this is remedied in the next update.
  4. Hmac macrumors 68020

May 30, 2007
    Midwest USA
    I didn't even know photos in Preview could be edited, so I appreciate this post.

Anyway...just tried resizing and adjusting several JPEGS (Mac Pro Leopard) and no crashes, no problems.
  5. munsongeek macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm not going to be much help, but I'm having the same problem. I'm opening a jpg and it seems that if I resize it I can save it no problem. The problem seems to be if there are changes made in the adjust color dialog.

This would be a great tool if it would work ;-)
  6. unstoppabletiff macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2008
    this is still an issue...

any idea when this will get resolved...:(
  7. desiredusername macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2008
    Same prob

Yeah! I also got the same problem, sometimes also in Iphoto!
    I have got Iphoto 5, on a 12'' Powerbook G4 with Leopard "working" on it.
    The prob with Preview happens allways, and the prob with Iphoto appeared a few days ago, when I made some changes on some photos in the "edit"-mode. Changed some contrast, color etc, made a new album, even deleted some files from Iphoto, then it crashed, and when I restarted it everything was undone. Even the deleted files were back in the "library".
    I'm really thinking about downgrading!
  8. unstoppabletiff macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2008
    the thing is...i have a new macbook and it didnt start doing it until recently...i was like wth....maybe it has something to do with updates....its so annoying...:mad:
    anyway can anyone recommend another "free" image editing software...
  9. retro83 macrumors member

Feb 3, 2008
    My Macbook (which came with Leopard) has always done it.

I'm using Seashore until it is (hopefully) fixed in 10.5.2. :) In the meantime I've been sending crash reports to Apple every single time in the hope that it annoys them enough to fix it :rolleyes:
  10. desiredusername macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2008
    I experienced that it mainly happens with pics that have a size over a certain resolution ( something arround 2.048x1.536 px).
    ... still annoys me

11. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

May 14, 2003
    Anyone find a solution to this? Ive had this problem since install on launch day. I dont edit much in preview, but was trying tonight and its still doing this. Annoying.